Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa not working at Costco gas pump

tag
hernaemm90
New Contributor

Visa not working at Costco gas pump

Okay, so a few weeks ago I went to put gas in my car at Costco. When I put my Uber Visa card it asks me for a PIN, I thought this was wierd since it never asked me before but I punch in the PIN and it gets declined. I call Barclays and the guy on the phone does nothing but suggest I change my PIN so I do it. Next time I come to fill up, same thing, I call Barclays they tell me nothing is wrong with my account. I try to talk to someone at Costco and the person I talked to suggested that maybe the problem was the physical card and I get another replacement card. I do that and set up my PIN but today when I go to put gas it gets declined again.

Has anyone else had their Barclay card or any other credit card declined at a Costco gas pump?

Some things I didn't mention above, with Barclays when you change the PIN online it tells you that to complete the process of changing your PIN your next transaction has to be at a chip terminal with a cashier, and yes I made sure to do that. Also, my card is being declined specifically at the gas pump. When I go inside it works at the checkout line and the food court

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa not working at Costco gas pump

This is fishy. Must be a problem with their pump point of sale system.  PIN's are only for cash advances with CCs. It sounds like it beleived your card to be a debit. CCs should never require more than a billing zip code when paying at the pump.

I always hit cancel when asked for a pin, even if using a debit card (which I never do anymore).

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing fishy.

OP, when the PIN prompt displays, just press the OK button on the pad (might need to do so 2x), then it should work.

Message 3 of 10
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Maybe the touch screen for that POS wasn't working and kept thinking you chose debit.  Did you try different pumps? Another Visa card?

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Maybe the touch screen for that POS wasn't working and kept thinking you chose debit.  Did you try different pumps? Another Visa card?

This appears to be a widely known instance for a variety of COSTCO gas pumps with a recent upgrade.  So, no this wasn't about selecting Debit.  It can be bypassed as mentioned upthread.  The PIN 'prompt' typically displays for select Visa CCs, but not all.  Union Bank, SYNCB, Citi Retail, Barclays, for instance.

Message 5 of 10
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Gunnerboy wrote:

This appears to be a widely known instance for a variety of COSTCO gas pumps with a recent upgrade.  So, no this wasn't about selecting Debit.  It can be bypassed as mentioned upthread.  The PIN 'prompt' typically displays for select Visa CCs, but not all.  Union Bank, SYNCB, Citi Retail, Barclays, for instance.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this known issue, as I only use Chase CC's at their pumps. I'll look for this when I begin using my Citi/Costco card at their pumps.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 6 of 10
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Thank you, I'll try it next time I go

Message 7 of 10
SBR249
Established Contributor

Costco has likely upgraded their pumps ahead of the EMV adoption deadline for gas stations but maybe they didn't turn on the actual EMV authentication functionality. I recall their POS were upgraded to chip readers months before the actual switch but you couldn't dip your EMV cards as they weren't turned on. Perhaps the PIN enabled cards recognize the new gas pump POS as an unattended EMV enabled kiosk and attempts to default to PIN authentication but since these pumps don't have that functionality turned on yet, the card just gets declined because there's no way to authenticate. 

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this known issue, as I only use Chase CC's at their pumps. I'll look for this when I begin using my Citi/Costco card at their pumps.

The Citi COSTCO Visa should be fine since it won't prompt for a PIN.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStarI don't know how you do it but, you manage to stay in sync with many of the odd abnormalities that occur related to various types of pay methods! Glad you do. Did know that Barclays requires a confirmation of a pin change before it will work but how many folks hear about that? Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.