Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2s and electronic filing

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

W2s and electronic filing

I know this is not credit related, but the knowledge of the community comes in handy on a variety of topics.

DH has not received his W2 yet, even though others in the company have.  Our mail service is really, really poor and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the neighbors has it.  I think I have hand delivered mail to my neighbors 4 times in the last few weeks.  One year, even with the correct address clearly displayed on the envelope, it was returned to the company.

Payroll is rather snippy at this point and suggests waiting until March 1 before asking for a replacement. Smiley Sad

If I recall, last year, when I filed electronically with TurboTax, I was able to get the W2 information to auto-populate.  Am I remembering this correctly ... or was I dreaming? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: W2s and electronic filing

Yes, I remember that option with TurboTax. (Didn't use it, though, so I'm a bit hazy.) If he has the same employer as last year, that might make it even simpler?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Dawn
Established Contributor

What would really be simpler is if the employers could get them in the mail prior to January 31 and not overwhelm the postal system. 

Considering the level of technology that is used by larger companies these days, it just seems really odd that they can't generate and mail those things earlier in the month.

Between W2s and people trying to get their property tax post-marked by January 31, the system must be maxed out!  It's a wonder that more of our mail doesn't get "lost."
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

He can also get all of the info from the very last pay stub for 2007 ('year to date' amounts).
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:
He can also get all of the info from the very last pay stub for 2007 ('year to date' amounts).

Careful doing that, if you use those amounts are in any type of retirement plan, cafeteria plan, etc  the actual "taxable" amounts listed on your w-2 could be different. Then you'd have to amend your taxes.

A few years back I used turbotax and think I remember that selected companies do offer their information like that.

I'd get a post office box for important things if mail service was that bad.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

sidewinder wrote:

masdeocho wrote:

Careful doing that, if you use those amounts are in any type of retirement plan, cafeteria plan, etc  the actual "taxable" amounts listed on your w-2 could be different. Then you'd have to amend your taxes.

Good point.  Thanks!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.