Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF BILT Huge Interest Charge

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: WF BILT Huge Interest Charge

@Remedios wrote:

Someone educate me, but I thought payment account used must be cardholder's or joint account?  

This is what I also thought.

As a test, I just logged into 7 CC accounts and added a new payment account for each.

Stopped just short of the end, did not need a new payment on each

Only 1 of the 7 had info saying that the account had to be yours

Bank of the West

FNBO, Discover, AOD, USAlliance, and two old CU's just asked for routing and number.

I was very surprised.

Message 31 of 40
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Kforce wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Someone educate me, but I thought payment account used must be cardholder's or joint account?  

As a test, I just logged into 7 CC accounts and added a new payment account for each.

Bank of the West

FNBO, Discover, AOD, USAlliance, and two old CU's just asked for routing and number.

I was very surprised.

I have honestly never came across this . I have my own CU banks hubby not on them and I have used them quite often to pay some of his accounts and never ran into that problem . We have different last names as well .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 32 of 40
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Bank of the West

I was very surprised.

But ... I wonder if you had tried to finish adding those payment accounts, @Kforce, would it have caught that they weren't in the same name as the credit account? Or would they have allowed the payment from account to proceed? OP was able to add the account. The payment was just rejected. 

As for Wells Fargo being particular, I believe we can chalk this up to the aftermath of 9/11. The USA Patriot Act was passed in 2001 to try to combat terrorist activities. >Title III<  of that act  addresses efforts aimed at  International Money Laundering Abatement and Financial Anti-Terrorism and lenders' responsibilities in that regard. So providing identifications when opening bank or credit accounts and making sure payments are from legitimate sources are part of banking's "due diligence" requirements.  Some take it a little more seriously and strictly.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 33 of 40
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Bank of the West

I was very surprised.

But ... I wonder if you had tried to finish adding those payment accounts, @Kforce, would it have caught that they weren't in the same name as the credit account? Or would they have allowed the payment from account to proceed? OP was able to add the account. The payment was just rejected. 

As for Wells Fargo being particular, I believe we can chalk this up to the aftermath of 9/11. The USA Patriot Act was passed in 2001 to try to combat terrorist activities. >Title III<  of that act  addresses efforts aimed at  International Money Laundering Abatement and Financial Anti-Terrorism and lenders' responsibilities in that regard. So providing identifications when opening bank or credit accounts and making sure payments are from legitimate sources are part of banking's "due diligence" requirements.  Some take it a little more seriously and strictly.

I understand why they might not allow an account that is not yours.

Don't have a problem with what happened, and not surprised.

Was expecting 6 out of 7 accounts to have some warning.

Could not find a peep about the account needing to be your own.

Was expecting something like the BofW warning.

bw.jpg

Message 34 of 40
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

As I said, WF BILT is an odd ball.  It is not even consistent that WF would not have any problem if the payment is set up from inside BILT or even inside WF itself.  

I think it has something to do with how BILT is set up with WF.  There are also BILT service rep.  

I have no such problem with other WF credit cards.  WF never declines any payments before.

Message 35 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

As I said, WF BILT is an odd ball.  It is not even consistent that WF would not have any problem if the payment is set up from inside BILT or even inside WF itself.  

I think it has something to do with how BILT is set up with WF.  There are also BILT service rep.  

I have no such problem with other WF credit cards.  WF never declines any payments before.

So, first returned payment ..you thought they were kidding or something?

Screenshot_20230101_205620_Chrome.jpg

Message 36 of 40
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Kforce wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Bank of the West

I was very surprised.

Next time you make a payment, look at the terms and conditions you're agreeing to before submitting. That's usually where the wording is. 

Message 37 of 40
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I almost never make payments from a personal account. Always from one of the businesses. Never an issue. I'll admit it does seem kinda grimy.  But of course there's always some fine print somewhere to point the finger squarely back at us.

Gotta be honest tho... that is a card worth adjusting habits for  Smiley Wink

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom

Just keeping it simple ... "We have different last names as well" ... Smiley Happy

Surprised at what has been posted. Did not know we could do all this? Smiley Surprised

Message 39 of 40
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Bank of the West

I was very surprised.

Next time you make a payment, look at the terms and conditions you're agreeing to before submitting. That's usually where the wording is. 

I have never have had a problem

I push all my payments.

The receiving bank/cu does not care about who pushed the money with a billpay for payment

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.