Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait, what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, what?

I don't even think I understand how credit works.

I take out a loan. My creditor reports that information to multiple credit agencies like Experian, TransUnion, Equifax. I think those are the big 3, right?  If FICO is a separate entity from those three, how do they get my information as well? Who else is my creditor sending my personal information to?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Wait, what?

@Anonymous wrote:

If FICO is a separate entity from those three, how do they get my information as well? 

They don't - FICO doesn't maintain credit reports, they develop the scoring models used by credit bureaus to generate your FICO scores. 

The credit bureaus adopt the FICO algorithm to develop scoring.  Each bureau customizes the algorithm a bit - which is why the scores differ between them. Your creditors report to the bureaus, the bureaus have the FICO scoring models implemented, a score is generated based on the data on your reports. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  welcome to the forums 

Is this your first and only account? 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico is not a credit reporting agency, so they do not receive or store your credit-related data.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually the CRAs do not customize the algorithm. FICO creates the algorithm based on the unique datasets of the respective CRA's, resulting in slightly different weightings for different metrics. The result is the version is slightly different at each bureau. 

Message 5 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually the CRAs do not customize the algorithm. FICO creates the algorithm based on the unique datasets of the respective CRA's, resulting in slightly different weightings for different metrics. The result is the version is slightly different at each bureau. 

TY for clarifying 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here. Start coming over regularly and reading. You can glean so much from all that's here. 🙏🏻

Message 7 of 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The CRAs are FICO's primary customers. FICO does customize their base algorithms at the request of the CRAs. The CRAs can and do ask for certain attributes to be weighed differently such as impact of # cards reporting balances. In some cases one CRA may ask Fico not to consider a certain "secondary" attribute in scoring while the other two want to include it. This customization is not based on the dataset per se but, rather on how the CRAs want their in-house datasets analyzed for risk assessment.

The degree of tweaking allowed has been reduced with newer Fico algorithms such as Fico 9. Fico 8 allows greater customization than F9 and the older Fico 04/Fico 98 accommodate more customization than F8.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Check out this little thread: 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-the-CRA-s-go-about-their-daily-busines...

This is the most incredible forum. Get into it; you'll love it, and do yourself some good too.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see so it’s generated based on the unique dataset and then potentially customized further thereafter by fico at the request of the CRA.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.