cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting on Discover to report my 0 balance....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Waiting on Discover to report my 0 balance....

Hey guys, I'm trying to apply for some cards & CLIs this month, however I've been waiting on Discover to report my 0 balance for a few days now (statement cut on the 2nd).  Typically I'd be a little more patient, but due to a identity theft scare earlier in the year (luckily prevented any theft), I had placed security freezes on all of my reports, which I have had temporarily lifted for the duration of this month.  I'd rather get my applications in ASAP then have to cut it close. 

I called the Discover yesterday to inquire about their reporting, and I was told that they had already reported my 0 balance.  CCT/Kredit Karma/etc. are still showing a 66% utilization, whereas after my payment to Discover, I should be around 29%.  I figured I'd wait and see if it would update today, which it has not, and thus - I've called Discover once more and was told that they could report upon my request.  The kind woman instructed me that she had just sent in the report and it should take several days to reflect online. 

My question to you guys is - does anyone have experience with this sort of matter?

I've had this account since 2013, and t typically they've reported with haste.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Waiting on Discover to report my 0 balance....

It really takes several days for this to show up, sometimes TU can take 2 weeks. If they have reported it again for you, you are just going to have to wait till it shows up. I know what its like to be waiting Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed TU take a while to update. Credit Karma have TU and EQ data. EQ is htere in a couple of days. TU too nearly two weeks to report my last zero balance from Wells Fargo. 

In  fact, I contacted WF to ask them to confirm they had reported to all three. they said they report to all three every statement date. a couple days after that, updated, TU showed up on Credit Karma.

Other than TU seeming to lag, CK works for me. For day to day stuff, it's about general trends and monitoring accounts,, rather than a precise score. I get enough free 'actual' FICO socres from my credit cards. If I ever need a honest to God, certified, genuine, kosher, bona fide FICO score, I will get one then.  

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe there can be a lag between when a creditor reports to the bureaus and when the bureaus update the new reported information.  For example, if you pull your reports every single day, the day something shows up finally on your reports is usually NOT the day it says it was reported.  For example, today is 8/5.  Say yesterday I checked a newly pulled report and X account hadn't reported yet.  Today I pull the accounts again, and X account HAS reported.  You would think the reported date would be 8/4 (if it reported after I checked yesterday) or 8/5... but a lot of times it will say reported on 8/1 or some other date.  To me, this means when the bureaus obtain the reported information is not the day they nessarily update it on their end.

My point is that Discover very well may have reported to the bureaus already as they said, just the bureaus haven't done the updating on their end.  Calling Discover again IMO is sort of a waste of time.

Message 4 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The kind woman instructed me that she had just sent in the report and it should take several days to reflect online. 

My question to you guys is - does anyone have experience with this sort of matter? 

Yup.  It's exactly what the woman you talked to stated.  The CRA's don't instantly update when a creditor reports. It can take several business days and the 3 don't all necessaruly update on the same date.  Don't overlook prior discussions as a resource.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys.  Looked around the board to find out more about this situation but could only seem to find topics about when Discover first reports after opening an account.  Well, my tensions have been eased.

Just checked CCT and it's showing an experian FICO 8 of 720 from 677 yesterday.  TU and EQ have not yet updated though, and are still showing a 61% utilization.  Pretty glad to see a 43 point jump like that, though.

Itching to request CLI from Discover right now, do you guys think I should give it a few more days - wait for TU and EQ to update as well?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely a nice bump there.  What was the last time your received a Discover CLI?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely a nice bump there.  What was the last time your received a Discover CLI?

It's been a while.  Discover was my first card and it had a 500 limit.  After a while they gave me a CLI to $750, then $1000 (I think), then finally $1500.  Sat there for a while until I got my Amex ED, started at $500.  VERY quicky went to $1000, and then $2000.  Soon after Discover finally matched Amex and brought me to $2000.  That was my last increase from them, I want to say that was back in 2014, maybe early 2015.  I've never requested one from them, and I've been maxed out for a while, so never thought it was a good idea to ask.  Eventually Amex brought me to $4000, and that's where I am with them for now. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked my scores again today and TU seems to have reflected the change in util.  I don't have a real FICO from TU (Got my 3 from CCT yesterday), but FAKO score is around 730, so I figure it's around the experian score.  Just waiting now on EQ

I requested a soft pull cli on Discover's website and was approved for another $500.  I wanted more, though, so I called one of the numbers in the backdoor thread and explained that I received an increase, but was looking for more.  The woman then asked my permission for a hard pull, and after asking her which report they would pull (because EQ has not yet reflected my current discover balance), I gave her permission to pull transunion.  I then recieved a total of a $1700 increase, so an additional $1200!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job calling and getting more!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.