Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to app-spree; how much better would score of 787 be instead of 757

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to app-spree; how much better would score of 787 be instead of 757

Want to app-spree; how much better would having a score of 787 be instead of 757 be before I start it?  Utilization sits at 18% right now but I can get it down to low-single-digits by paying off a closed account which has until of 80%, bringing my overall utilization down to 3% or so, and bringing my score up from 757 to 787 (according to Experian FICO Score Simulator).

How much of a help would having my score move up to 787 be for an app spree? Would it help me get more cards approved and/or higher balances?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Want to app-spree; how much better would score of 787 be instead of 757

Simulators are worthless. It's a generic model which can't anticipate each unique profile and factors.

You also can't guarantee removal of a paid CO. They can legally report for up to 7.5 years. Typically removed at 7, but lender isn't obligated to remove, and most don't. Is it reporting by OC, CA, or both?

Message 2 of 6
blindambition
Senior Contributor

List your current cards. Lender of closed account, with amount. How old it is. How many lates it shows? 
Which cards are you looking to app? Do you know FICO scores from each bureau?

Message 3 of 6
rostrow416
Established Contributor

The next big level for utilization is 9%, so if you bring it down to that, you will get the best increase for the money.  There's not much reason to go lower since the gain may be little to no points.  But your score is good enough for pretty much any approval as long as your inquiries and/or new accounts are few.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

He didn’t say it was a charge off; he said it was closed. maybe OP can clarify.

Yeah you’ll probably get better terms with the higher score.
Message 5 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Don't listen to the simulator. It is useless.

Going off scores alone, yes you could probably be approved, though app sprees at this moment are highly risky due to shaky economic outlook. But we need more details. All accounts, balances, limits and any negatives.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.