cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird credit card question. Reporting as closed but is open.

tag
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

Weird credit card question. Reporting as closed but is open.

I have a credit card that has been reporting as "closed by consumer request" for a few months. My credit union says that everything looks normal in their system. Did a PC hoping that would change it. Nope. New credit limit reports. Balance updates monthly. Still shows closed. They finally did something and it is showing open on EX but not the others. I am wondering how would this impact me shopping for a new card(s). In my opinion I would view it is a charge off that isn't reporting correctly. I know most apps are processed by computers. Do you think they will see it like that? Just trying to be wise before I go out shooting apps. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Weird credit card question. Reporting as closed but is open.

@increasingmyfico wrote:

I have a credit card that has been reporting as "closed by consumer request" for a few months. My credit union says that everything looks normal in their system. Did a PC hoping that would change it. Nope. New credit limit reports. Balance updates monthly. Still shows closed. They finally did something and it is showing open on EX but not the others. I am wondering how would this impact me shopping for a new card(s). In my opinion I would view it is a charge off that isn't reporting correctly. I know most apps are processed by computers. Do you think they will see it like that? Just trying to be wise before I go out shooting apps. 

It won't be viewed as a charge off, it would be viewed as a closed account with a balance as long as it continues to be reported as paid/paying as agreed. Just because an account is closed with a balance doesn't automatically make it a negative account. For example, consumers have the option of closing a card and keeping the original terms when a lender changes the account terms (i.e. fees, interest rates, etc.).

If you are concerned, just pay the account to 0 and let it report before applying 

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As long as it's not reporting as a negative, it's likely a glitch. If somehow you have confirmation of the account closure and TU and EQ refelct the tradeline(s) as closed, then it appears EX didn't 'get the memo' or didn't code it correctly -- would be my guess. In the grand scheme of things, if it displays open on EX, then it can't hurt as far as metrics go.

Curious though, on the logic. Why do you view it as a "charge off" when it's not an actual charge off?

Message 3 of 11
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

So the account is still open. Its just reporting as closed. I'm assuming it would be viewed as a c/o because it is reporting closed with a balance. EX was updated this month to open status. The other two for whatever reason are still showing closed. 

Message 4 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Perhaps get some sort of confirmation that the account is indeed open and good standing in writing from your CU and use that to send in a dispute to EQ/TU to ask them to change its status?

And just cause it's closed with a balance doesn't automatically make it a charge off. As mentioned above, occasionally consumers (or the banks themselves) can close an open account for any reason at any time, which sometimes can happen when there's still a balance showing. But as long as the actual status isn't showing CO/there aren't comments saying it's a CO, it won't be seen as a CO.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 11
gotpigs
Established Member

I have a card doing the same thing. It was actually reported closed on the cutoff date but I got it reinstated. Disputed to EX 3 times. Now balances are right and reporting but still shows closed. Cardholder doesn't know why it shows either. Did you ever get a solution?

Message 6 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@increasingmyfico  Where in the trade line (account) is reporting the as open?  is it in the account type where you usally see revolving Installment etc?  if so it has nothing to do with account being open or closed.  The account type Open means it is a 30 day account where the balance is paid in full each month .  True charge cards like some Amex cards are reported as open account types because the balance in full due.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 11
gotpigs
Established Member

It's Credit One. It reports closed on my CR. Credit One customer service says there is nothing showing closed on their end yet all of my EX disputes don't change it even though the balance/payments started showing now.

Message 8 of 11
gotpigs
Established Member

It's not charged off

Message 9 of 11
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

@gotpigs wrote:

It's Credit One. It reports closed on my CR. Credit One customer service says there is nothing showing closed on their end yet all of my EX disputes don't change it even though the balance/payments started showing now.

Credit One? Say no more.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.