Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird letter stating I'm being sued

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Weird letter stating I'm being sued

You can contact the owner of the debt and informally request validation.

Since the owner is apparently a debt collector, you have the right to send them a formal DV request under the FDCPA, which will still be timely if they never sent you a dunning notice.  That will require the asserted plaintiff to cease collection until they provide you validation, or to confirm that you have not

asserted debt with them.......

Message 11 of 24
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Since the owner is apparently a debt collector, you have the right to send them a formal DV request under the FDCPA, which will still be timely if they never sent you a dunning notice.  That will require the asserted plaintiff to cease collection until they provide you validation, or confirm that you have not asserted debt with them.......

How do I do the formal DV request? also who is the debt collector exactly? would it be credit consulting services? I looked them up and got nothing for contact info. Sorry like I said before I always pay everyone and have never had to deal with debt collectors.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 12 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Np1791 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Since the owner is apparently a debt collector, you have the right to send them a formal DV request under the FDCPA, which will still be timely if they never sent you a dunning notice.  That will require the asserted plaintiff to cease collection until they provide you validation, or confirm that you have not asserted debt with them.......

How do I do the formal DV request? also who is the debt collector exactly? would it be credit consulting services? I looked them up and got nothing for contact info. Sorry like I said before I always pay everyone and have never had to deal with debt collectors.

He's talking about whoever is filing the lawsuit. The ad isn't from a consulting firm, it's from a law firm. While you are certain that you don't owe anybody money, mistakes happen. You need to just search the court database and if there's nothing, don't worry about it. The ad was sent to you by accident. But if there is something, you now know and can do something about it. Here is an example of where you look up the cases:

http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/page?_pageid=55,1641716&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Just find the page for your local area. If you want his cell number, I can message it to you. But I wouldn't call him until you confirm there is something wrong.

Message 13 of 24
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

I feel really dumb but I can’t figure out how to use this site to save my life.
As of 11/28/2018
Message 14 of 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Np1791 wrote:
I feel really dumb but I can’t figure out how to use this site to save my life.

Click the link above. Click 'Online Case Search" Blue button left side. Click Party Name Search. Click "Civil" for Case Type. Case Location next. Click San Diego. Then Defendant. Enter your Last and First Name.

Message 15 of 24
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Does not let me continue unless boxes are filled.
As of 11/28/2018
Message 16 of 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Look above I edited it.

Message 17 of 24
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Even if I don’t live in San Diego? I live in Bay Area of California.
As of 11/28/2018
Message 18 of 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

is your county listed on that page? If not what county in CA?

Message 19 of 24
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Monterey county.
As of 11/28/2018
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.