Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird situation has me worried 😒

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird situation has me worried 😒

So my credit has been great, everything is going fine, and then my car needs brakes. So, I put it on my discover and the statement closed shortly after. I have about 80k worth of credit, 11% (previously 10%), and only 2 cards with higher individual utilization at about 60% each due to BTs. I know credit karma is to be taken lightly but it showed my score dropped 68 points on tu/eq. Would a $900 balance/1% utilization increase really drop my actual FICO 8 that drastically? Is it likely I'll see any AA? I plan to pay it within the next two weeks, just worried in the meantime. I've got relationships with pretty much all of the larger banks for reference 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Weird situation has me worried 😒

@Anonymous 

It's credit karma , you can't rely on their score changes at all. No need to try to figure it out .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

They likely dropped some but certainly not by that much --  Why not pull your FICO scores and see so you can rest easy -  at least pull one of them -- you can get EX FICO 8 free from Discover Scorecard

Neither card is maxed and your overall util is still pretty low so I wouldn't worry about AA...  just make sure the balance continues to go down and not up and you should be fine. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would pull another report. 68 points is a lot, even if CK scores are off. You could have a 45 point drop on a report that you pull yourself. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So my score that capital one gives dropped 68, have not seen a change with my score from discover yet, and no notification from Experian.. I know I will see some points back once paid off but this seems like way too much 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One and Credit Karma both show you Vantage scores so don't put much stock into those. Discover, however, shows your TransUnion FICO score.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One and Credit Karma both show you Vantage scores so don't put much stock into those. Discover, however, shows your TransUnion FICO score.

My DISCOVER score is slightly lower than my CK scores. It tracked pretty much in line when I maxed out a card. Lost around 40 with Vantagescore 3 and lost 38 on the DISCOVER TU.

Most likely will see a significant drop on other pulled reports.

Message 7 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my score that capital one gives dropped 68, have not seen a change with my score from discover yet, and no notification from Experian.. I know I will see some points back once paid off but this seems like way too much 

Capital one is Vantage.  You need your FICO.

Discover Scorecard is not the same as the FICO scorecard in your Disco account portal.  It's an entirely different website available to the public, not just cardholders.  

The FICO in your Disco portal is your TU FICO 8.   The one given by the scorecard offers your EX FICO 8 and it's free.  You can pull it right now.  You can pull it once every 30 days...   Click the link I put in my first post... 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover, however, shows your TransUnion FICO score.

Discover in your Disco Account Portal is TU FICO 8. 

Discover Scorecard is EX FICO 8.  They are two different things/websites.  Scorecard is available to the public for free, not just cardholders:

https://csp.discover.com/free-credit-score/index.html

OP Can pull their EX FICO 8 right now using that link. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did not know about Discover Scorecard — thanks @thornback!

I use the Experian app to check my EX score personally. Highly recommend.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.