Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Account Numbers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo Account Numbers?

Hello!

I had previously carried a balance on my Wells Fargo platinum credit card so I stopped carrying the card, and I hid it at my house.  After paying off the balance I decided I would start using it again here and there to keep it alive.  

I could not remember where I had put it at my house.  So I messaged Wells Fargo through their app that I would like to get a new card as I had misplaced my card.  I specifically mentioned that I had merely misplaced the card at my house, and that I had not lost it.

Wells Fargo replied that they had frozen my account, because they said that I had said that I lost my card.  Very frustrated, I called the 800 number they included in the message.  The lady I spoke with said they could not unfreeze the account and give me a new card.  They would need to close that account number and then open a new account number.  This sounded as if they would report to the credit agencies the account closed and a new one open, with only Wells Fargo's internal system knowing the difference.  

I told the lady that I was worried this would affect the average age of my accounts and in turn affect my FICO score down the road.  She assured me this would not affect my FICO score, and that my account would stay open; only the numbers would change.  I am not sure she completely understood what I meant, or perhaps I did not understand her.

I have had this Wells Fargo account for 14 years and I am worried this will affect the average of my accounts.  I only have one other account, and that is 19 years old.  I had planned to apply for some new cards, but now I am worried about having only one open account that has any age to it.  Should I be worried?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Account Numbers?

I'm not 100 % on this but I believe they're telling you correctly..

Let's say you did lose the card or heaven forbid twas stolen- they would have to give you a new number but the account would be the same.

Most people have a balance of some sort- so that would mean they couldn't entirely close the account..

They also issue cards with a different number to authorized users.. 

I'm almost certain it will be the same account, just a new number.

CHEERS

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's normal, when a person needs a new card because he can't find it, for the card issuer to cancel the current card number, and issue you a new card with a new number.   In this sense they don't make a distinction between you losing it on a trip or you being pretty confident it's under the sofa somewhere.

It sounds like this is what WF did.  As far as I can tell, it sounds like they will be doing the usual thing of the "Date Opened" remaining the same.

Do you have tools for checking your credit reports for free?  Credit Karma is a good example, which will give you your TU and EQ reports with fully updated data as often as once a week.

I'd just track your reports, and give them plenty of time to get it worked out.

I would if I were you also open at least one more card in a month or two, as well as implementing the Share Secure Loan Technique.

You still have two open accounts with the same Date Opened, in all likelihood.  All that will ultimately change is the number on your card and the expiration date and security code on the back.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  What you two say makes a lot of sense.

The reason I am antsy is because the lady I talked to said I would receive two different statements this month.  Furthermore, I seem to remember someone posting either on these forums or elsewhere that something similar had happened to them, and Wells Fargo completely closed their account and gave them a new opening date.  That is why I specifically mentioned to Wells Fargo that I had not lost the card but misplaced it.  

No, I am not signed up with Credit Karma, but I did just log into the Wells Fargo app and it said my FICO score had changed, but it is still showing the same number.  I got one of my free annual credit reports last month.  I had planned to get another one mid-July but I may get it sooner.

I plan to eventually open some new cards, but I currently have a high utilization on my other card.  Advice given to me here on the forums (in fact, CreditGuyInDixie, you are one of the people that gave me some sound advice) is to wait on new cards.  I did not prequalify for an online personal loan from either Prosper or Lending Club.

I just opened an account with Navy Federal and I plan to apply for a card with them next month.  I then plan to keep asking for CLIs, and hopefully they will run a promo again early next year for low or zero interest balance transfers.  Then I can transfer part of my balance from my high utilization card to Navy, and then apply for the Slate card and/or get a personal loan through Navy.

Thank you for the replies.

Message 4 of 12
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Seems like you have a solid plan! Good on ya...

Congrats with getting in with NFCU! I love, LOVE them...

Treat them right and they'll treat you right..

CHEERS

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked the sock drawer?
Message 6 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I can't speak directly about Wells Fargo. But I've had numerous account number changes with Capital One and one with Barclays, and the process has been absolutely seamless. Nothing changed on my credit report, and the only blip was the day or two that the card can't be used.

However, if you have recurring payments on your card, you'll need to contact those merchants and update your information. For most, the revised information will kick in immediately. However, some might advise that you make a manual payment for the month so you're covered while their computers catch up to the change.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had Navy Federal for only about two weeks now, but so far they have been great! 

I don't keep cards in the sock drawer.  I did check where I keep my social security card and passport; WF card was not there.

That is some good advice regarding the recurring payments.  Thanks!  I had been avoiding all credit card use, so all of my recurring payments are currently linked to my debit card.  I do plan to eventually switch everything over to credit cards.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had been avoiding all credit card use, so all of my recurring payments are currently linked to my debit card.  I do plan to eventually switch everything over to credit cards.

You may want to rethink moving your spending to credit cards.  Although you have only been spending money on them for a short while, you have run up such a big balance that you are looking for balance transfer and low APR options.  That means you are in debt and paying a lot of interest.

I encourage you to spend almost no money on your cards until you can pay off all your CC debt.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had been avoiding all credit card use, so all of my recurring payments are currently linked to my debit card.  I do plan to eventually switch everything over to credit cards.

You may want to rethink moving your spending to credit cards.  Although you have only been spending money on them for a short while, you have run up such a big balance that you are looking for balance transfer and low APR options.  That means you are in debt and paying a lot of interest.

I encourage you to spend almost no money on your cards until you can pay off all your CC debt.

Thank you for the advice.  Yes, I am in debt, so for the most part I am not spending on them.  I don't plan to do the switch over until my credit card debt is paid off. 

I am currently buying groceries on my Discover Card, because I am getting the 5% cash back.  The same day that I charge on the Discover Card I make a payment for that same amount.  I am not the greatest at math, but would this not allow me to avoid having to pay interest on those (and only those) charges?  I am also going to start charging my gas on my card, because I have a friend whose card was skimmed at a gas pump.  If I pay with a credit card I would have some protection, versus a debit card.  When I pay for the gas, I plan to make an immediate payment for that amount on the card too.

The Wells Fargo app is telling me to call them again.  When I talked to them tonight, the gentleman I spoke with said my opening date is still showing the same year.  Yea!

He also said that I cannot currently request a CLI because of the hold on my account.  After the hold is removed, I can ask for CLIs and it should be a soft pull.  If it requires a hard pull he would be prompted as to that.  He said I can request CLIs as often as I want.  Furthermore, he said that I can even request a small CLI, and while I am still on the phone I could request another small one.  So on and so forth.  This is on the platinum, but I assume the Cash Wise card would be the same.

Thank you, everyone!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.