Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells closed my 2 cards due to fraud high risk

tag
Hope4love
New Visitor

Wells closed my 2 cards due to fraud high risk

Hello

I need some advice and I hope people will not pass judgment so quickly. 

I opened a Wells Autograph CC in August and got approved right away and have a balance I am scheduled to pay this month when the statement closes. I applied for BILT Mastercard last week and got approved as well with great credit limit. My score is 770.

The next day my 2 CC accounts were restricted.

They connected me to Fraud dep and was asked to go to the branch, bring ID and proof of address.

I went to the branch quickly despite my health concerns and was told by the fraud agent I spoke over the phone while I was at the branch that they will let me know in two days the results after docs and my license have been reviewed. They said they just want to make sure it’s not identity theft and it’s me who opened it, which I obviously did.

Today I called and was told accounts are permanently closed due to it being “high risk”. They said some of my docs couldn’t be validated although some were. I’m so confused as to how that is possible!

The branch faxed my Government ID with my address showing on it, 2 utility bills and several bank statements, plus an employment verification. These are all valid documents. They can even call the companies if they want to do so, but the agent spoke to me every rudely and I felt singled out. I understand they are doing their job to protect their bank but this doesn’t make sense to me.

I have lived in my address for 15 years and yes I am not the primary payer on some utility bills but my name is on the account, nevertheless my other proof like bank statements and gov ID  (showing my address) should  have helped proved my case.

I asked if I can speak to another department I can appeal this to and I got their executive corporate office line but they said even if I complain to corporate they will keep their decision and nothing can be done and to deal with the credit bureau if you want anything removed from the report. The supervisor guy was very mean to me.

I am so upset, hurt and confused. I feel this is a subjective decision.. the Supervisor said it is final and that it’s just a risk. I already felt  humiliated at the branch cause other people are hearing I’m having to verify myself and the same supervisor agent on the phone was very rude and acted like I am just a guilty con. I’m sorry I know some here will tell me that they may have valid reasons to be so sure of why they closed my cards, but I challenge them to call each company of the documents to confirm my ownership - name and address. This is not fair go next

A case has been opened with Corporate, but due to being told by that supervisor that it won’t really matter, I just feel hopeless. My credit score score and inquiries matter to me. This is not about having a good credit line or bonuses, this is about my name and reputation.

I am hoping someone here would give me advice if there is something can be done for the accounts to be reopened. I would rather have them reinstate me for a lower credit line and monitor for a year to prove my credit worthiness than be considered as a high risk customer and close my account and blacklisted me for the wrong reasons when I know I am the person who applied and I have sent docs to prove that.

I hope someone here can guide me to something. I really feel horrible and I know some might not care but this is my name that matters to me. I have worked hard for years to establish my good credit and have been banking with others with no issue, but I want to maintain a good relationship with Wells Fargo for my future business goals.

I currently have a checking,  dancing’s account and a business credit card that were not affected at all.

I just feel like there should be some kind of way here I can defend myself. This just doesn’t make sense to me. I promise all my docs are legitimate I even feel overexposed since so many details have been exposed in my documents about personal things.

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Wells closed my 2 cards due to fraud high risk

Sorry to read that, and I won't be much help... but I'll try.

First, this isn't personal...it just feels like it.  Wells Fargo is trying to protect you and themselves from an imaginary bad guy.  Now it's on you to prove to Wells Fargo that bad guys don't exist... which, of course, they do... so good luck with that.

Wait and see what Corporate tells you, but I don't expect good results.

There are other banks out there.  Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Hope4love wrote:

I hope someone here can guide me to something. I really feel horrible and I know some might not care but this is my name that matters to me. I have worked hard for years to establish my good credit and have been banking with others with no issue, but I want to maintain a good relationship with Wells Fargo for my future business goals.

I currently have a checking,  dancing’s account and a business credit card that were not affected at all.

I just feel like there should be some kind of way here I can defend myself. This just doesn’t make sense to me. I promise all my docs are legitimate I even feel overexposed since so many details have been exposed in my documents about personal things.

Thank you for your help.

Welcome @Hope4love 

So sorry this happened. Your not the first, and you certainly wont be the last. This happens more often than you can imagine with many lenders. Many for no reason at all like yourself succumb to these makes no sense decisions. As @tcbofade stated. Its not personal. Its business. We all care about one another and we'll never meet in person. Were here to help each other with credit issues. And post tips and tricks to improve one anothers credit, rebuild, BK, get that goal card, and the list goes on and on. Theres plenty of other banks like CU's that will treat you better with a personal touch. When one door closes. Another opens. And its usually a better outcome. Whats done is done. Theres a lender out there that will treat you like a real customer and will want your business. Even though. They just want to make money from you in reality. Like a crush you had. You want to be with them so bad. They dont want to be with you. In time the right one comes along. Just say fine WF. Move on and find the next one.

Message 3 of 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Sorry about this and maybe you will have some luck on reversing the two closures. 

Would you be able to let us know the Utilization on your new Autograph card?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear OP. Wonder if getting 2 WF in 2 months triggered something? I heard 6 months betwn apps were the norm 

Message 5 of 7
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Sorry this happen to you, and yes.. please don't take it personally.  WF pushes the ticket with unjust practices and apparently, even when it costs them millions, they don't stop.  I had an account with them years ago and I can't remember the details, but they froze my checking account simply because I deposited a check from one of my bank accounts in another state THAT I WAS CLOSING and this check was to move the money to my new WF account and they told me I wouldnt have access again until after it cleared. There was nothing wrong with what I did and it was only about $1,100 and the check did clear of course.  As soon as it did, I closed the account and went with a CU.

That was almost 10 years ago and about 3 months ago I received a letter by FedEx and there was a check for $150 from WF and the letter stated something to the effect that they 'may' have taken fraud measures when there was no reason to and that they hoped the enclosed check would help with any inconvenience they may have caused..  I'm guessing they did this with a lot of people and that a class action suit had become of it.   So you see, it's really NOT JUST you.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 6 of 7
markbeiser
Established Contributor

Sorry that happened to you.
Years ago I had a number of bad experiences with Wells Fargo during >5 years of banking with them.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.