Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CRA is used for Credit Approvals?

tag
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

What CRA is used for Credit Approvals?

Quick question...

I've been working hard to raise and improve my credit score over the past 2 years or so.  I started in the low 500's.

Since then I have improved my scores across all 3 CRA's.  However, one CRA is much (at least in my not as well as informed opinion as ya'll lol) than the others.

My FICO scores are as follows:

EQ:  755

TU:  755

EX:  665

I made another thread about why my EX would be 90 pts lower than my other scores and I've been getting some helpful advice  there.

My question is this....

I want to get out of these "beginner/rebuilder" type cards that I currently have. Many with low CL's.

However, from what I've read (please correct me if I'm wrong!) is that a lot of credit card companies use a FICO score from just ONE CRA and others use all 3 and choose the MIDDLE FICO score.  Given my scores, if they take the middle score, I'm fine. If they take either EQ or TU I'm fine, but what if they take my EX Fico score?  

I don't want to waste my time applying for better cards if that low EX score will hurt me.  It sucks that it feels like a ball and chain around my ankle lol.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: What CRA is used for Credit Approvals?

First step is to look at AMEX (although they use EX, you may be pre-qualified). 

Secondly what is on your EX file that isn't on the other two or what is on the other two that isn't on the EX? I had a collection on EX and TU but not on EQ for some reason. 

You could also check some other pre-qual sites. You can also look through the credit card approvals page for various threads and what bureaus they pull. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 19
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@Sandman771 Thank you for your reply.  You asked an interesting question that another person asked me in a post I made about why there was a difference between my EX and my TU, EQ scores.

There's literally NOTHING different.  I check my full credit report wayy too much probably.  In fact, I do have a 3 collections from almost 7 years ago (they will be falling off next year....although I'm working on a PFD for those 3 collections).

Here's what's interesting...is that 3 of the collections report on EX, only 1 reports on my EQ and TU.  So basically, my EX is in better shape than the other two!  It makes zero sense to me.

Updated Collections Reporting.PNG

Message 3 of 19
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

@CorySoccer wrote:

@Sandman771 Thank you for your reply.  You asked an interesting question that another person asked me in a post I made about why there was a difference between my EX and my TU, EQ scores.

There's literally NOTHING different.  I check my full credit report wayy too much probably.  In fact, I do have a 3 collections from almost 7 years ago (they will be falling off next year....although I'm working on a PFD for those 3 collections).

Here's what's interesting...is that 3 of the collections report on EX, only 1 reports on my EQ and TU.  So basically, my EX is in better shape than the other two!  It makes zero sense to me.

Updated Collections Reporting.PNG

Those two that are reporting to EX are keeping that score lower than the others. If you PIF or PFD those two EX will shoot right up with the rest. THEN you'll be cooking with gasoline. 

Message 4 of 19
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@Sandman771 OMG, I got my EQ's and EX's mixed up! lol.  It's EX that is reporting on all 3, not EQ.  How did I miss that????

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. NOW it makes sense! lol.

Thanks for the words of hope about getting those last 3 taken care of and being in a much better position.  The two accounts at the top were being reported to all 3 CRA's so I had been working on those and finally got them all removed.  Now i'm on to the last few ones.

Appreciate the help man!

Message 5 of 19
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

no problem. Get those off EX and it will shoot up and you'll be seeing some AMEX love maybe on their pre-qualification page. I know they use EX. Don't know who else uses what. And if there is ANY way you can get into Navy Federal that is the spot to get to. If any member of your family was in the military then you are eligible. There are threads and threads about NFCU. 

Message 6 of 19
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@Sandman771 All duly noted!  I've heard positive things about Amex and NFCU.  Thanks for the advice.  Once I get these last few removed I'll check and see what offers are available.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Not all lenders pull from same CRA. Some pull from 1, some from 2, and lenders like Cap One will pull from all 3. Even the model pulled will vary. Some pull FICO 8, others will pull FICO 9.... Many CU pull EQ mortgage EQ 5.

The middle score is only used in gaining a mortgage. It has nothing to do with credit cards. The agency pulled may also be state specific.

Member @credit_is_crack has gathered tons of critical data on what agency a lender will pull, which version, and also state defined. See this link. 

Message 8 of 19
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@blindambition Thanks a lot for that information.  Especially the link!  

Message 9 of 19
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@Sandman771 I had been declined for an Amex Card in the past, but out of curiosity just happened to do their free pre-approval app on their website and got an offer for an Amex Platinum card.  I used the search feature in the forum but haven't come across much. Do you know much about it? Just curious.  This is what the offer looked like.  They did a soft pull so I guess it's not an official offer, but it's something lol.  $550 AF? Amex Approval_LI.jpg

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.