cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you doing to stay a head in the new FICO 08 release?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you doing to stay a head in the new FICO 08 release?

I thought this would be a good topic. There are some changes that we know of coming with the FICO 08 release. Feel free to post what you have or plan to do to take advantage or prevent lost points in this next release model. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are you doing to stay a head in the new FICO 08 release?

let things age

get rid of the med collection by hook or crook.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

No idea. I hate feeling unprepared, and I feel totally unprepared. It's hard to know how to handle something like this when there is such little indication of what would be good preparations.

It's like knowing something bad is going to happen and not being able to stop it. Feeling more out of control than normal, I guess.

There's not much I can do for myself except aging and waiting for old baddies to fall off. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 25
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Opened up online bill payment with my bank.  Listed all of my accounts.  Make EARLY payments and PIF it at all possible!

I double-think my purchases, i.e. do I really need that or can that purchase wait?  Approx. 99% of my purchases are items on sale, so some items get stocked up on.

Holding off on that new car until fall or when the 2009's come out so I can get a great price on a 2008.

I turned my heat down 2%, new cellphone plan, and wear my daily wear contacts for two days.  DH is going to the dr. to see if two of his meds can go to generic since that cuts him from $70/monthly to $8.00.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Things I do NOT cheap on:  My animals.  They get prime food, premium vet care.  I will go without lunch before I cheap on them.

Every little bit of money saved will go toward paying down debt.  I've got dh off of my cards as au and was able to move him to joint on one.  The only way to stay ahead is to budget everything. 

Bring it ON FICO 08...I'm ready for you!

Message 4 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh my gosh, fish, change your contacts! No score is worth having gunk growing on your eyeballs!

Anyway, there isn't anything that I can do to prepare, even if I knew exactly what's in the new formula. My history is what it is, warts and all. I'm still GW'ing, but I would do that anyway.

I am AU on a card that made my history 6 years longer, but I'm curious to see what will happen when it's no longer counted, so I'm not changing anything for the moment. If it's a complete disaster, I'll switch over to joint then.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 25
marty56
Super Contributor

I think if we continue to do things to imporve our current FICO score, we will probably be in good shape for anything that comes down the pilke.  Maybe for those who are using AUs to boost thier score, maybe its time to leave the nest so to speak.

For me its to conitnue what I am doing now.  Lowering and elimiating CC balances.  Working a budget, and possible another prime CC to add to the mix.  I better get that Kiss Chase card before they merge with WaMu.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

carrying low balances and letting accounts age is best strategy for me--dont have a clue what is really changing in 2008--I am not an AU on no accounts they are all mines Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I am AU on a card that made my history 6 years longer, but I'm curious to see what will happen when it's no longer counted, so I'm not changing anything for the moment. If it's a complete disaster, I'll switch over to joint then.

I'm an AU on two of my wife's cards.  Is switching them to joint an easy process?  They are Chase and BoA.
Message 8 of 25
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

i'm with you awlegz i thought from reading some stuff the fico 08 was going to be a good thing for someone like me w/lates not an au user..maybe i dont understand completely and need to go reread, but i am overall trying to budget more not eat out lunch every day have saved me $$ i used tospend about $8 on lunch a day so that's $40 a week and $160 month, the gas is killing me i drive a gas guzzler, if i had a more fuel effecient car that would help but still working on cr and fico's to get best possible rates
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 9 of 25
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Lol, my contacts are fine because I don't wear them at night so I can use them for two days.

It's easy to change an au to joint on Chase, just give them a call & they'll send out the paperwork.  That's about the only thing Chase has ever made easy. 
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.