cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What banks offer quick real-time online banking?

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

What banks offer quick real-time online banking?

I’m not sure if that is the correct term, but what I’m looking for is a bank that shows debits, deposits, etc. instantly on the online checking app, like my Discover card does. I banked with CharterBank for many years, and they are very good online banking app. It wasn’t quite as good as my Discover card, but almost all activity was shown online as soon as it happened. Charter was bought out by CenterState Bank, and their app totally sucks. You get updates Monday-Friday morning, and then you get no activity shown again through the whole weekend. I have myself, my wife, and my daughter all with debit cards, and though they do a pretty good job of letting me know what they spend, now I have to manually add it up for 3 days to keep track of it. I’m sick them, but I want to make sure I change to bank that at least was as good as Charter was.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: What banks offer quick real-time online banking?

US Bank is good about real-time updates of debit card transactions. Checks post (viewable) around 5pm, deposits show immediately (though some deposits have a hold placed on them).

Chase has a nice app in my opinion. They are also good at real-time updates on transactions.

Both of the above allow real-time text notifications for transactions above a set amount. (I have notifications for deposits greater than $1, and purchase greater than $50 -- used to have both at $1, got annoyed with the frequency so changed it to basically monitor for unauthorized transactions).

My local credit union is good too, but unless you live in Idaho or Washington state you wouldn't be able to join.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase
Wells Fargo
Bank of America

The major players...

All have exceptional real time online updates. Deposits, withdrawals, debits, you name it, it gets posted in real time via the app, via text or via their online banking sites.
Message 3 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I use chase and a local credit union. I may dump the CU for NFCU, but I've started using my Chase account again because of the number of features. Venmo clears in a couple days, PayPal deposits in one day. Quick pay, wire transfers and my car payment can be handled in app. I've literally only had to step into a chase branch once in the last 10 years and that was only because of a fraud alert on a wire transfer which they fixed with a 2 minute phone call from the private banker.

Message 4 of 24
grower1
Frequent Contributor

I've banked with Chase for many years and it has never let me down. 

Message 5 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@grower1 wrote:

I've banked with Chase for many years and it has never let me down. 

I won't shift fully back because my direct deposit comes sooner at CUs, but if they started early DD, I'd move everything back.

Message 6 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately there are no big bank branches in my town, besides BB&T, and they aren’t as big as the others mentioned. Of the big banks, BOA is closest to me. There is a BBVA branch in the town where I work.

Most everything we do is direct deposit, but I’ve never banked without a local branch, so I’m not sure how that would work out.

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I do have a local credit that I could use for cash deposits, etc., but what is the best way to transfer money bank to bank without getting ate up with fees?

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
I do have a local credit that I could use for cash deposits, etc., but what is the best way to transfer money bank to bank without getting ate up with fees?

In general, credit unions offer free ACH push, pull. You'll have to check with your local credit union.

BoA charges ACH fees. They do offer real time transactions.

Message 9 of 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately there are no big bank branches in my town, besides BB&T, and they aren’t as big as the others mentioned. Of the big banks, BOA is closest to me. There is a BBVA branch in the town where I work.

Most everything we do is direct deposit, but I’ve never banked without a local branch, so I’m not sure how that would work out.

Look into the larger credit unions. Your local CU might be part of the co-op network.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.