cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does everyone think of paying an attorney to help cl...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does everyone think of paying an attorney to help cl...

What does everyone think of paying an attorney to help clean up your credit report? Is this a better, quicker way to higher scores or is it just a waste of money?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: What does everyone think of paying an attorney to help cl...

Personally I do not think they can do anything that you cannot do.  I spent several hours yesterday writing GW letters and disputing some items, which is exactly what they would do.  My opinion, use the money you would spend on an attorney to pay down some of the debt.  Write GW letters and keep a good relationship with the lenders.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

John060675 wrote:
Personally I do not think they can do anything that you cannot do.  I spent several hours yesterday writing GW letters and disputing some items, which is exactly what they would do.  My opinion, use the money you would spend on an attorney to pay down some of the debt.  Write GW letters and keep a good relationship with the lenders.

Agreed.

For debt and credit issues, I would recommend an attorney for one of three situations: if a creditor who is contacting you about a debt is violating the FDCPA, if a creditor sues you, or if you are considering filing for bankruptcy.

For credit cleanup, you can do a lot of that yourself.  It does take time, but the attorney would charge you a small fortune to help you with credit cleanup.  In fact, good attorneys will tell you to use the fee that they would charge you toward paying your debts and do the credit cleanup yourself.
Message 3 of 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Do it yourself and save the money. Everything you need to know can be learned on the forums.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Catlin wrote:
What does everyone think of paying an attorney to help clean up your credit report? Is this a better, quicker way to higher scores or is it just a waste of money?

almost everyone here is cleaning their credit themself. If you see us talking about an attorney, it's because of being sued by a OC,CA or the member filing a suit against a OC or CA.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through the Life After Bankruptcy seminar and he said that doing it yourself doesn't work because the credit agencies would disregard your disputes as frivilous, that the disputes should be written by attorneys.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I went through the Life After Bankruptcy seminar and he said that doing it yourself doesn't work because the credit agencies would disregard your disputes as frivilous, that the disputes should be written by attorneys.

Well maybe they are trying to make some money........

I went from 535 in Jan to 680 now.......by myself.
Message 7 of 11
sl
Established Contributor

I went from 591 to 681 by myself and the help of my fico friends here. 

Thank you all...I could not have done it with all your help!!!!!
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the help from fellow members here I went from  FICO 619 to 688  within 2 months. No attorney could do better, and it cost me $0000

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-31-2007 03:44 PM
Message 9 of 11
workingmom

I went to the same seminar about 5 years ago, signed with the attorneys for about 4 months and dropped them.  I strongly  agree that alot of GW letters and disputes can be handled yourself for cost of postage.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.