Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is considered too many?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is considered too many?

Discover is offering me a fairly decent deal for a card that I am have considering, but I wanted to know what is considered too  many inquires and open accounts. My last account inq and opened was a line of credit at the bank about 3 months ago, and before that by about 4 months was a citi card. Before that is at least 9-10 months for my amazon card. However i have seen peeps on here and other forums that have an huge number of hits and opens so what is too much to existing creditors? I dont want to get a red flag with who I have now.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is considered too many?

If you aren't looking to apply for a loan for at least a year, I wouldn't sweat inquiries or new accounts.  If it's a product you really want, go for it.  If you're on the fence, wait a month and see how you feel about it at that time. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is true I got nothing going on for a year but as I was reviewing it the rewards are just not good enough. I mean yes there is the 5% in various categories but they change and there is no control on part so part of the time I can make 5% and other times only 1%. there is no inbetween. Still that blisscard is looking attractive.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're referring to Bispay, be forewarned that a large percentage of people are denied due to "failure to verify identity" when they have absolutely no reason to be denied for such a reason.

FWIW, I obtained both Blispay and Discover on the same day in June of 2016.  Discover probably saw a $10k spend my first year, where Blispay maybe saw $500.  In Year 2, Discover has probably only seen about $500. 

My point here is that Discover can be great the first year, but after that it's a very ordinary card IMO.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah okay thank you. I did end up applying and got approved for 7100 but it did ask me to verify information. 

I might consider discover next year though, see if maybe they have better promos and such.

Message 5 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover is what it is. Their promo is their double cash back first year . Plus the rotating 5%. At least with Discover, your limit has room to grow whereas Bliss does not. Still Discover can be a nice addition to your walletSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats true.. Ill consider them again but ill still wait at least 6 months. I dont like too many new opened accounts. I would also want to make sure everything is paid off so I can make that discover my go to to maximize the double cash back the first year

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.