cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Bible of Finance?

tag
jmoney2

What is the Bible of Finance?

As the title implies, what could you recommend as a "essential material" or very helpful reading material that outlines just about everything finance? As much as I love asking for advice and listening to the Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman types.. I would love to read, and research finance and develop my OWN ways and theories for investing, saving etc.. What are some really good reads to do this?

p.s. Its sort of like Bible. Instead of listening to multiple preachers, one would understand a LOT more by just reading the book (bible) they are preach from for themselves. So I am trying to find some of the top financial books to truly understand this stuff inside and out. I know some of you have some good reads that you can recommend. Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the Bible of Finance?

Don't think there's any one "Bible" it comes to finance.

Credit reports / credit building / credit management, Road to 720 wasn't bad; this forum and one or two other places online are better in my estimation.

Investing, that's a long list as there's a world of difference between bonds vs mutual fund investing vs. direct stock investing vs. options and other more complex financial investing and trading strategies: hundreds of thousands or even millions of people devote most of their lives to this.  I'm a buy and hold person for the vast majority of my investments (other than the play money) so I'm not really qualified to comment on that much; however, if I had to start with just one book it'd probably be: One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch

        
Message 2 of 8
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@jmoney2 wrote:

As the title implies, what could you recommend as a "essential material" or very helpful reading material that outlines just about everything finance? As much as I love asking for advice and listening to the Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman types.. I would love to read, and research finance and develop my OWN ways and theories for investing, saving etc.. What are some really good reads to do this?

p.s. Its sort of like Bible. Instead of listening to multiple preachers, one would understand a LOT more by just reading the book (bible) they are preach from for themselves. So I am trying to find some of the top financial books to truly understand this stuff inside and out. I know some of you have some good reads that you can recommend. Thanks so much!

I found the "Dictionary of Finance and Investment Terms (Barron's Financial Guides)" to be very thourough.  It explains just about any type of investment that I have ever heard of.  

It is only informative.  It's not a "how to".  And it doesn't make any judgements about or reccomendations as to what investments are best for any particular person.  But it is a font of information about finance.

It took me a minute to look it up, I loaned my copy to someone and it hasn't found it's way home yet.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 3 of 8
jmoney2

Thank you both this really helps!

Message 4 of 8
compassion101
Established Contributor

Ric Edelman had a good podcast you might want to check out called the truth about money. It's pretty basic stuff but he 10x better than Suze Orman

Message 5 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Look-up on amazon (then do as the author says, and go grab the book from the library) for this book. Very good read, for me - thus far.

I've also liked this onethis one, and this one

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 8
jmoney2

WOW you all are such a great help!!! Can't thank you enough. This is a good thread for sharing finance book advice. I have been reading Dave Ramsey Complete guide to money as well. 

Message 7 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@jmoney2 wrote:

WOW you all are such a great help!!! Can't thank you enough. This is a good thread for sharing finance book advice. I have been reading Dave Ramsey Complete guide to money as well. 

I've been trying to read 3-4/wk on finances/accounting/investing, etc since the start of Jan.  I've not been a reader of books, since I was a kid.

I've also picked up some Anthony Robbins from the Libary in form of Audio CD/book, so I don't have to waste my time listening to radio commericials.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.