cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the obsession with HP'ing for a CLI???

tag
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Re: What is the obsession with HP'ing for a CLI???

Unfortuantely CC companies are in business to make money.. Any company that hard pulls your credit can indirectly affect any new credit that you may be able to get.. (Too many recent inquiries)  I'm sure sometimes people are declined credit with a new CC company which will keep you using the same card the you requested the CLI.

Just a thought.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 11 of 35
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually think it would be a great thing of all self-initiated CLIs were HPs.  I know that goes against the grain in the community here where SP CLI requests happen almost as regularly as a trip to the restroom, something I myself am guilty of.  If all self-initiated CLIs resulted in a HP, you'd see far less CLI requests and/or people greatly limiting their CLI requests to only the card/cards that they really want/need them on.  It would be a level playing field if all CCCs did this.  Lender-initiated CLIs based on heavy usage of course would not require a HP, as that's not a [customer] request for additional credit.

I take no issue with CCCs hitting someone with a HP if they are requesting additional credit, which is what a CLI is.  I think many of us have gotten a bit greedy with all of the creditors out there that hand out CLIs like candy with simple SPs, so when we see a HP required it almost seems "wrong" when in fact it in most cases is really the "right" thing to do when looking at the subject through a neutral lens.

Agreed. I don't need the $25k I have available on Amex, but I took advantage of a 3X SP CLI at 61 days,and another $7k SP CLI 180 days after that.  $25k is my self imposed limit for requesting a CLI. 

It's crazy to me that Amex will give a 3X cli at 61 days. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

HP CLIs are almost invariably higher than SP CLIs. I personally don’t mind or I wouldn’t be with NFCU. 

As others have said, it leaves a mark that lets other creditors know that you’re actively seeking more credit which is a risk factor they should know about. It wouldn’t surprise me to see all CLIs turn into HPs industry wide and I would support the move. If Discover did HP CLIs, we probably wouldn’t see people with high incomes getting denied or tossed $200-$500. 

Message 13 of 35
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

There is really no reason for them to do a HP because CCC are always SPing your credit monthly as part of their monitoring.  That is why some have AAs done against them.

The HP isn't done necessarily for the additional pull when they're already getting monthly SPs, it's simply because they want to leave a mark on your CR stating that you were requesting additional credit.  I'm sure all CCCs would like to see these marks, as they'd rather know (than not know) if and with whom they are requesting additional credit.

They know when they see your available credit on the SP and age of accounts. They also know more than you think and I don’t think they need a popcorn trail of HPs to figure things out.

Amex is giving individuals new cards w/o HPs based on the data they have.  I love Amex, two business cards were freebies but the new personal cards do show up on your reports even though there was no HP.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

There is really no reason for them to do a HP because CCC are always SPing your credit monthly as part of their monitoring.  That is why some have AAs done against them.

The HP isn't done necessarily for the additional pull when they're already getting monthly SPs, it's simply because they want to leave a mark on your CR stating that you were requesting additional credit.  I'm sure all CCCs would like to see these marks, as they'd rather know (than not know) if and with whom they are requesting additional credit.

They know when they see your available credit on the SP and age of accounts. They also know more than you think and I don’t think they need a popcorn trail of HPs to figure things out.

Amex is giving individuals new cards w/o HPs based on the data they have.  I love Amex, two business cards were freebies but the new personal cards do show up on your reports even though there was no HP.

I wouldn’t really use Amex as an example since Amex is like the “big brother” of credit card companies. 

The point is that hard pulls ensure other lenders see the request no matter if it was approved or not. If it’s denied and it’s a SP, it’s not visible to anyone except you. SP CLIs look like auto CLIs to the credit card companies doing their reviews without the HP on the file. 

Message 15 of 35
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Arguably from an algorithm design perspective, it's the lenders that are doing SP approvals for credit extentions that are doing it wrong.

We may move to a time where either everyone is doing SP's or everyone goes back to HP's; probably really depends on how the lenders feel about this but it's probably a non-issue for the big lenders - I would ABSOLUTELY be comparing month over month pulls if I got them, and that includes some simple math to see if not only balances changed, but also if limits changed in addition to whether the actual score changed.

Smaller lenders may not do this, but the large lenders with more sophisticated analysis are looking at a whole lot more than that in the data stream.

At some point maybe I become the outlier, I haven't applied for a CLI since 2013 with 2x Amex and 1 x failed BOFA.

        
Message 16 of 35
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

HP CLIs are almost invariably higher than SP CLIs. I personally don’t mind or I wouldn’t be with NFCU. 

As others have said, it leaves a mark that lets other creditors know that you’re actively seeking more credit which is a risk factor they should know about. It wouldn’t surprise me to see all CLIs turn into HPs industry wide and I would support the move. If Discover did HP CLIs, we probably wouldn’t see people with high incomes getting denied or tossed $200-$500. 

Income is not shown anywhere on a CR. HP or Sp doesn't make a difference.  Income is self reported unless a creditor requests verification.  

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Income is not shown anywhere on a CR. HP or Sp doesn't make a difference.  Income is self reported unless a creditor requests verification.  

They can get a picture of your liquid cash based on your charges and payments. 

That wasnt my point though. My point was that HP CLIs tend to be higher than SP ones. 

Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

They can see your CLIs, but without a HP they don't know if the CLI was a request for credit or if it was an auto-CLI.  That's really the whole point IMO and it can't be determined simply from a SP.

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My point was that HP CLIs tend to be higher than SP ones. 

I don't believe that to always be the case.  My two highest SP CLIs were $27k and $20k increases on my Lowe's and Amex cards.  I've also received 2 CLIs on my Citi card; One was a HP and one a SP.  The HP CLI resulted in a $5k gain, where the SP CLI resulted in a $7k gain.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.