cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the proper way to figure my debt to income ratio with a Rental?

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

What is the proper way to figure my debt to income ratio with a Rental?

I think I know how to figure it up but it seems USAA has a weird way of figuring it out with a rental involved.  My debts total $3557 and my income with the $1600 per month income with rent is $6020 per month.  So is it pretty sraight forward 3092/6020 = 59%??   I take it with outstanding credit, this DTI ratio is too high to do any other type of loan?  Scores are 740 plus and solid income.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the proper way to figure my debt to income ratio with a Rental?

I have been told by USAA rep one time that they sometimes included the entire CL on CCs when figuring DTI because "at anytime I could charge it all up"..I at that time was at 19% with balances owed and told her "I hadn't used it all up before...why would I do it now"..oops bad thing to say for a CLI request (had card 2 yrs with no CLI) ..her final reply was "well then I guess you don't need it" needless to say request declned, but funny thing auto increase came 90 days later for more then I had asked for

Message 2 of 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

That's not how rental income is always done. Usually you use the Schedule E from the 1040 and calculate any profit or loss instead of just using the lease amount. You would have to ask them how they calculate it for the type of loan you want

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 4
babbles
Established Contributor

I don't think they go into your schedule E.  But tried to get my lenders to tell me how they figure it and amazingly they won't tell!   

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.