cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the definition of a late payment???

tag
helpwanted

What's the definition of a late payment???

If you pay any portion of a bill that's due but not the total amount due, is that considered late?

I was a few days behind on a revolving card so I was assessed a late fee. However, It was paid before the next stmt appeared. I then received the following month's statement showing a balance due from the prior month (late fee) in addition to the current month's amount due.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Takunda1
Established Contributor

Re: What's the definition of a late payment???

helpwanted wrote:
If you pay any portion of a bill that's due but not the total amount due, is that considered late?

I was a few days behind on a revolving card so I was assessed a late fee. However, It was paid before the next stmt appeared. I then received the following month's statement showing a balance due from the prior month (late fee) in addition to the current month's amount due.

A late is anyhting paid after the due date.  You are also considered late if you pay less than the minimum due by said due date.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late is any payment that is "posted" after the due date. You can still pay on or before the due date and still have your payment process a day or two later to be posted.

For it to show up on your credit report as 30 days late is for the payment to either be later than the next months due date and sometimes it can be sooner if the bank goes by the next months closing date.

It costs you money to pay after the due date. It costs you your credit to go more than 25-30 days after that date.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything less than the minimum payment would also be considered non payment and make you late.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you pay more then 29 days after the statement due date then you would be consider 30 days late. if you pay say 10 days after the statement due day your not 30 days late your just charged a fee. if your over 59 days late since due date then your 60 days late. etc. sometimes the credit card companies cut the statement before they but in your payment. you can call and ask and make sure they recieved it. alot of credit cards change their due dates every month so if i was marked 30 days late every time i missed a due date back in the day i would have alot more late payments on my past credit reports. so as long as you dont let it lapse a whole month you should be fine just have to pay the fee for being late. If i'm wrong someone please correct me
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.