cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do if the credit bureau do not recognize me, i.e., recognize me as a different person?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do if the credit bureau do not recognize me, i.e., recognize me as a different person?

Dear All.

My question is, what should I do if the credit bureau such as Equifax, do not recognize me?

Let me explain my situation. First of all, I'm not a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident. I'm a new graduate student at Texas, and I've got SSN in this September. I applied to Discover IT to get a secured card. However, I've got this error message. 

"

Thanks for your interest in Discover®. Unfortunately, at this time we are not able to approve your application for a  Discover® Student card due to the following:

THE NUMBER OF ACCOUNTS WITH DISCOVER FINANCIAL SERVICES

Although we are not able to approve your application, you can find helpful financial tips, easily monitor your FICO® Credit Score for free, and learn more about what affects your credit at Discover.com/Credit-Scorecard. "

I google the message, and I've found that this error message occurs when I have already got a credit card from Discover. However, I started my new life in Texas a couple of months ago. Thus, I do not have any credit card. That's why I applied to Discover IT card.

However, the more strange thing is that they notify me credit score in their rejection mail; this is are below;

"

We also obtained your credit score from this consumer reporting agency and used it in making our credit decision. Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your credit score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes.

Type of credit score FICO
Your credit score 743
Date October 20, 2017
Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 850
Key factors that affected your credit score were as follows:
LENGTH OF TIME ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED
LACK OF RECENT LOAN INFORMATION
TOO MANY INQUIRIES LAST 12 MONTHS
LENGTH OF TIME REVOLVING ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED

This information was provided to us by Equifax, Inc., a consumer reporting agency. "

However, as you already know, it is impossible for me to have such high credit score, because I do not have any credit history in U.S.

To get information about my credit history, I tried to request my credit report through the annualcreditreport.com. And the other two companies, such as the Trust Union and Experian says that there is no credit report. I understand it because I don't have any credit history. However, Equifax site asks me a couple of questions to identify me. And those problem is like this; "What is the institution you loaned at 2012?" "What is the credit card you made at 2016?" Since I didn't do such things, therefore they rejected me to give a credit report.

I'm not sure, but I think the Equifax identify my Social Security number as someone else. Please let me know how to fix this problem and to get a credit card. (I already check maybe I have a typo in my SSN writing.)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: What should I do if the credit bureau do not recognize me, i.e., recognize me as a different per

Gonna hafta do it the old fashioned way, through the mail.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.