cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I tried to dispute an item, my credit score went down

tag
manuel264

When I tried to dispute an item, my credit score went down

Last May 07 I began the process to clear negative items from my credit reports. I sent debt validation requests to 2 different creditors via certified mail. One never replied and the second replied 45 days later informing me that my account had been transferred to a different agency. I contacted Equifax and bought their monitor service and I used their electronic dispute form. To my surprise next day I received a notice indicating that my credit score with Equifax had been lowered 18 points. I contacted them by phone and they informed me that since I was disputing the two accounts, they had been removed temporarily from my record and thus, affected my score. I informed them that I had tried to request debt validation from both creditors and they had not replied promptly and accordingly. They replied that they could not do a thing about it and that I had to wait 30 additional days so they can complete their investigation. I insisted that I had contacted them 60 days ago and that I felt penalized for their lack of responsiveness. Does this sound correct? What should I do next since I'm in the process of applying for a loan for a house? Please...any comments or suggestions? Thanks

Message Edited by manuel264 on 08-17-2007 04:24 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When I tried to dispute an item, my credit score went down

Sorry- you are going to have to wait it out.

Keep in mind that these accounts were helping more than hurting.
Message 2 of 7
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

How could they be helping his report?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@illcrew3 wrote:
How could they be helping his report?

Age and UTL.

The 18 point drop is proof that these accounts were helping the score.
Message 4 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in
dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This could easily backfire.

Collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
demitasse03
Valued Member

I think I'm beginning to get this but please could someone confirm that I'm on the right track. 

I have a $64 med collection - date reported is 2003.  I'm pretty sure it is mine, so I have not disputed, nor have I contacted them.  My instinct has been to do nothing for now, even though I really would like to see this gone.  Is this account "helpful" to my scores due to its age?  What is my best course of action?
Message 6 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

demitasse03 wrote:
I think I'm beginning to get this but please could someone confirm that I'm on the right track. 

I have a $64 med collection - date reported is 2003.  I'm pretty sure it is mine, so I have not disputed, nor have I contacted them.  My instinct has been to do nothing for now, even though I really would like to see this gone.  Is this account "helpful" to my scores due to its age?  What is my best course of action?

PFD is your best option and do so with the party who is reporting it on your CR(s).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.