cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When are you alerted of a new card being activated?

tag
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

When are you alerted of a new card being activated?

I of course goth this service to alert me of anyone trying to open accounts, cards etc in my name....I just got a new CapOne Venture card and activated it about 6 days ago...I stil have not seen any kind of alert from MyFico.

Is it because:

A) After I activated it, I linked it to MyFico credit card list

B) Alerts only go out at certain times?

I am hoping you tell me A, so my anxiety goes down thinking they are not monitoring at all.

Thanks in advance.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When are you alerted of a new card being activated?

@kxkxkxx wrote:

I of course goth this service to alert me of anyone trying to open accounts, cards etc in my name....I just got a new CapOne Venture card and activated it about 6 days ago...I stil have not seen any kind of alert from MyFico.

Is it because:

A) After I activated it, I linked it to MyFico credit card list

B) Alerts only go out at certain times?

I am hoping you tell me A, so my anxiety goes down thinking they are not monitoring at all.

Thanks in advance.

That's a good question. Do you mean an alert saying "A New Account Has Been Added To Your Credit Report"?

It's NOT when you activate it, it's when the creditor reports the new account to the credit bureaus. Every creditor is different. AMEX for example in my case, it's always been around the third statement cut.

Message 2 of 8
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

I guess I assumed as soon as I activated this new card I would get a text alert letting me know...surprised nothing came in.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 3 of 8
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Ah ok, i read the rest of your comment....makes no sense...so someone can open a card in your name and have a field day before anyone knows...as soon as it is reported it's too late....would be nice if they could alert once the card is activated before anything is charged.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If someone APPLIES for a card in your name, you will get an alert for the hard inquiry.  That is enough to get the ball rolling on disputing it and calling that bank to tell them it's fraudulent.

Message 5 of 8
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Ah, good point! Thank you...that makes me feel better. Thank you ABCD!

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure thing!  Credit alerts are definitely important to monitor.  In addition to the paid services there are a bunch of free ones out there as well -- they may not be as accurate or timely but it never hurts to have a few things set up!

The last time I applied for a new account, I think I got 8 emails from various free credit monitoring services over 2 days, haha!

Message 7 of 8
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Nothing wrong with that...better to know than not know.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.