cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does a new CC show on credit report?

tag
Rozey66
Established Member

When does a new CC show on credit report?

I am in the process of buying a home and do not want to change my scores in a negative way.

I completely forgot that a month or so ago I click 'Yes' to a prompt from Credit One while paying my bill online to be considered for a new Credit One Amex CC... it showed up in the mail this week.

I don't see it as a new account on my myFICO monitoring or others systems yet. 

Do I have to activate the card for it to report or is it going to report because it was accepted? I'd like to activate it after closing because it's the only AMEX in my wallet; but I do NOT want to disrupt my scoring in the meantime. TIA

Starting Score: 558
Current Score: 558
Goal Score: 600

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: When does a new CC show on credit report?

@Rozey66 wrote:

I am in the process of buying a home and do not want to change my scores in a negative way.

I completely forgot that a month or so ago I click 'Yes' to a prompt from Credit One while paying my bill online to be considered for a new Credit One Amex CC... it showed up in the mail this week.

Do I have to activate the card for it to report or is it going to report because it was accepted? I'd like to activate it after closing because it's the only AMEX in my wallet; but I do NOT want to disrupt my scoring in the meantime. TIA

It doesn't matter if you activate it or not it will show up on your reports. In general, CC are reported after the first statement but some show up before and some can take 2-3 statements. I have no experience with credit one so can't say for sure. 

You need to let your lender know that you have a new card. 

Message 2 of 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I've obtained 4 new cards in the last year from three different financial institutions, in each case the new card showed up on my credit reports after the 6-week mark.  I honestly don't know if you can delay that by not activating your card, but my gut says it is a definite maybe.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@Rozey66 wrote:

It doesn't matter if you activate it or not it will show up on your reports. In general, CC are reported after the first statement but some show up before and some can take 2-3 statements. I have no experience with credit one so can't say for sure. 

You need to let your lender know that you have a new card. 

Yep, this is like if someone has app regret and cancels the card as soon as they are approved. It doesn't matter that you never got the card to activate let alone actually use it. In the lender's eyes you got the card and from there it depends on the lender on how long it will take to show up on your credit report. For instance AMEX has been known to take anywhere from 2-3 months before actually showing on your reports. It's really depends on the bank and the bureau to an extent

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover reported mine before I even got it in the mail to activate it. It looks like a YMMV situation depending on the company. 

Message 5 of 12
Rozey66
Established Member

Sounds like there is no real guideline here... so I'll update once it does show up. 

Thank you all!

Message 6 of 12
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover reported mine before I even got it in the mail to activate it. It looks like a YMMV situation depending on the company. 

Same here, Comenity reported the same week as approval, before I even got the card in the mail !

Message 7 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Also, I just wanted to chime in and clarify, it may run on the Amex network, but it has nothing to do with actual Amex cards issued by Centurion Bank such as the Gold, Platinum, Cash Magnet, Blue Cash Everyday, etc. Some people mistakenly think that by getting an Amex issued by a lender other than Amex themselves, they are "in" with Amex, but again that's not the case. I'm not saying that's what you're thinking/what happened, just wanted to clarify to any future lurkers/members who happen upon this thread.

Back on topic, yes, reporting time frame can vary from lender to lender, but it'll report whether you activate/use the card or not.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 12
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No Discos in my card portfolio, but the ones I do have taken 6-8 weeks to show up on the CR.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 12
Rozey66
Established Member

Just an update - as of 4/13 - none of the three agencies are showing this new account.

However, I have already activated the card, made my first payment for initial fees, and statement rolled on 3/24 so we are close to the second statement date.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.