Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the best time to pay your bill

tag
jsuero93
New Visitor

When is the best time to pay your bill

So ive herd the best time to pay your credit card bill is before your stament close date when eactly is this date ?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: When is the best time to pay your bill

@jsuero93 wrote:

So ive herd the best time to pay your credit card bill is before your stament close date when eactly is this date ?

You have to look at your credit card statement to know that. The "statement close date" is the day before the date your statement is made/printed.

Message 2 of 16
jsuero93
New Visitor

So lets say my statment is made on 04/25 so i should pay it on 04/24. That would be the ideal time correct 

Message 3 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jsuero93 wrote:

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

Obviously, the best time to pay your bill is by its due date!!! However, you can pay the minimum by due date and any remaining balance by statement date, which is noted on your bill. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 16
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Yes and no. 

It is the ideal time to pay if you are manipulating the amount being reported 

It is not the ideal time if you have not already made the minimum payment (your lender will charge a late fee)

It is not the ideal time if you are carrying a balance and paying interest. Credit cards use the average daily balance method to charge interest so it is best to pay immediately after your statement prints.

Message 5 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Well you'll have to check your account for the statement close date. Keep in mind that the statement cut/close date will be different from the "due date." 

As for it being the ideal time: that depends. If you want to show a little bit of usage, you might want to let the statement cut with less than eight percent or so. If you want it to report zero, then do pay before it closes. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 16
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

"The best time to pay your bill" is on time! 😋

Message 7 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jsuero93 wrote:

There is no single answer to your question. It depends on what your objectives are.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 16
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@jsuero93 wrote:

IMHO the best time to pay your cc bill is as soon as the statement cuts and shows your minimum due. (Pay the minimum).

As soon as I get a new bill I pay the minimum and then later on I will pay more during the month before the statement cuts depending on how much I will plan on the balance reporting. (maybe 0 maybe more)

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay before the due date by a couple of days. This allows for payment posting, weekends, holidays, and payment cut off time (the payment is posted the next business day after a certain time). The due date may also be different than the statement date. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.