Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to Due Date?

tag
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

When to Due Date?

What are your credit card due date strategies?

Some have few cars- some have many, but generally, when do you guys set your due dates? Do you synchronize them up? Do you stagger them? Do you have one card that is offset from the others to use while the others report zero (AZEO)? First of month? Middle month? End of month?

(Side note)
as someone who has only taken control of his credit for 5 years or so, it's amazing to have a wealth of knowledge from all of you who are credit guru's. Thank you for that.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: When to Due Date?

@SoCalifornia wrote:

Some have few cars- some have many, but generally, when do you guys set your due dates? Do you synchronize them up? Do you stagger them? Do you have one card that is offset from the others to use while the others report zero (AZEO)? First of month? Middle month? End of month?

(Side note)
as someone who has only taken control of his credit for 5 years or so, it's amazing to have a wealth of knowledge from all of you who are credit guru's. Thank you for that.

I have not changed due dates. Cards are on auto pay, a week before due date to account for any issues should they arise.  Use them as I need them, whatever reports, reports. 

I do check to make sure everything went through fine, but my involvement stops there. 

Not going to make babysitting cards a full time job, because that's what I used to do.

Message 2 of 18
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Lol @Remedios because I just came from your AZEO thread. Your answer follows suit 😁

Message 3 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SoCalifornia wrote:
Lol @Remedios because I just came from your AZEO thread. Your answer follows suit 😁

lol yeah..I got a bit OCD about it. A lot, actually. Wasn't for me. 

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though I still AZEO, I haven't gotten around to changing due dates.
I only pretend to be organized. 🤓
Message 5 of 18
calyx
Super Contributor

I haven't changed any of my due dates.    I get paid once a month and currently, I'm just paying the statement balance for everyone that day to make it easy for me.

I have set minimum payment auto-pay just in case something gets missed.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 18
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@SoCalifornia wrote:

(Side note)

The bulk of mine have always been due between the 1st and 7th of the month.  The outliers were Cap One QS (22nd), Discover (25th) and Amex (11th and 18th).  I have requested due date changes for Cap One and Disco, to align with everythig else.   The I will leave Amex alone at least for now.   My BCE is due on the 11th is close enough to the others it's OK, and the one due on the 18th is being used for a couple of specific things on a 0% offer so I can pay it when every I want before the 18th.

All cards are on autopay for minimum due just incase, but with the due dates all at the same time it makes it easy to remember when they are due to be paid. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 7 of 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I just leave the due date that got assigned when I got the card lol. I don’t do AZEO, but I try to keep utilization as low as possible when it reports. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 18
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Theoretically, it wouldn't matter. That is why we have theories.

I believe it is sensible to take into account how your income arrives and plan your expenses accordingly.  I get paid once a month, the last business day of the month. I have attempted to have all my bills due dates around the 10th.

I have one card that doesn't report based on billing cycle, but on the last business day of the month. I just have to take that into consideration earlier in the month. I am attempting AZEO but am not there yet. As I make preogress I use the 10/30/50... thresholds to lipstick my pig.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only changed 1 due date which is US Bank.  They report what your balance is on the last business day of the month regardless of when your statement cuts.  For any creditor, I would just prefer to make a payment by the due date, then the statement cuts a few days later and that balance reports.  I don't like mid cycle UTI reporting although it really doesn't matter quite honestly.

I'll typically have 4-5 statement balances reporting on a normal month unless I know I'm going to be applying for something.  My due dates are all over the place and I'm fine with that. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.