Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card protects consumer the best?

tag
alexgold9393
New Contributor

Which card protects consumer the best?

Hi Guys, 

I'm interested in buying a replica watch from hong kong, they say they have a refund policy and everything but I'm still worried. If I get a POS in the mail, do I have any recourse and what's the best card to use to buy it. 

I have discover, capital one, credit one, us bank, and citi. 

Thank in advance

Open Accounts:

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card protects consumer the best?

Capital One is excellent with disputes in my experience. They also charge no foreign transaction fees which is even better. 

I would be really leery about doing this though... you may end up fighting an uphill battle trying to get your money back if you don't like the item since you'll be required to ship it back to Hong Kong and any number of things can happen along the way. 

Message 2 of 16
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

illegal transactions are probably not covered by any card.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Replicas aren't illegal as long as they are sold as replicas. 

Message 4 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@alexgold9393 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

I'm interested in buying a replica watch from hong kong, they say they have a refund policy and everything but I'm still worried. If I get a POS in the mail, do I have any recourse and what's the best card to use to buy it. 

Thank in advance

Don't do it. "Replica" is codeword for knockoff.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alexgold9393 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

Thank in advance

What exactly is the problem with that? Some people don't want to pay a fortune for a watch. As long as they know what they're buying, it's nobody else's business. 

Message 6 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

That's absolutely wrong. Replica is a common codeword for knockoffs. One can easily get embroiled in a trademark infringement suit, or worse.

Message 7 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alexgold9393 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

Thank in advance

What exactly is the problem with that? Some people don't want to pay a fortune for a watch. As long as they know what they're buying, it's nobody else's business. 

According to the courts of the United States it is the business of the company whose works are being knocked off.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

That's absolutely wrong. Replica is a common codeword for knockoffs. One can easily get embroiled in a trademark infringement suit, or worse.

It's a legal grey area. You can buy but you can't sell. Importing a replica or clone is totally fine as long as it's for personal use. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alexgold9393 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

Thank in advance

According to the courts of the United States it is the business of the company whose works are being knocked off.

Which doesn't impact a consumer at all. Producing and selling knock offs is illegal, buying or possessing them is not. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.