cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which checking account gives free external bank transfers?

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Which checking account gives free external bank transfers?

@user5387 wrote:

Alliant CU and USAA support this.

But I'd be cautious about using either of these as a "flow through" account, where lots of money is transferred externally out of the account.

USAA all the way!

Message 11 of 18
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

Neither PNC or Citi, Charges for ACH transfers, or Popmoney transfers. 

Message 12 of 18
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

I have Schwab and Bank of America. If I try to initiate the transfer through BofA, there's a $3 charge. If I go on Schwab and pull the transfer through their end, they place a 5 day hold but no charge. that might be the same case for Ally, so that's another option for you to try if youre tied to BofA for one reason or another.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 13 of 18
RecoveredDebtaholic
New Contributor

Hi all, first post but have lurked on and off for a while, thanks for everyone's insight and experience on all matters credit.  On this topic I'd just like to point out that transfers mentioned above as free are ACH versus wire transfers. I'd love to hear if anyone is getting free same day wire transfers (outgoing) I bank with BOA, USAA, Chase and would love to find an account with free same day wire transfers.

Thanks

TU FICO 10/2/14 826
Message 14 of 18
user5387
Valued Contributor

@RecoveredDebtaholic wrote:

Hi all, first post but have lurked on and off for a while, thanks for everyone's insight and experience on all matters credit.  On this topic I'd just like to point out that transfers mentioned above as free are ACH versus wire transfers. I'd love to hear if anyone is getting free same day wire transfers (outgoing) I bank with BOA, USAA, Chase and would love to find an account with free same day wire transfers.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know the answer to the question.

However, it's worth noting that ACH and wires are based on different Federal Reserve systems, and because the wire system is real-time, it's presumably more expensive to maintain the underlying network.

What I've found with good ACH hubs (Alliant CU, USAA) is that they complete transactions in one business day, without any of the holds or other delays some banks impose.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirm user5387's findings!
Message 16 of 18
RecoveredDebtaholic
New Contributor

I confirm also, not to overly derail from the OP subject but I was indicating that wire transfers which I believe were more accurate to the OP based on the statement that he pays $3 which is the 3 day wire transfer charge for BOA are not free like ACH, there are many instances that ACH wont do, for instance buying from Apmex or putting money directly into someone account within minutes or various auctions I've been involved with that only accept cash or wire transfer.

TU FICO 10/2/14 826
Message 17 of 18
RecoveredDebtaholic
New Contributor

Additional info: And this will only help a very narrow group of people sadly but it's better than nothing which is what you'll find when searching for free wire transfers (not referring to ACH) I recently opened a checking account with Chase which they upgraded from Total Checking to Premiere Checking due to military service (qualifying ID required) which I posted about here http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/Props-to-Chase-Bank/td-p/3265626 In reading further into the documentation another great benefit I've found is that they offer free incoming and outgoing wire transfers if you direct deposit your military pay. Again, just a small group that can take advantage of this but there it is.
TU FICO 10/2/14 826
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.