Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which monitoring service? Or freeze?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which monitoring service? Or freeze?

I've been considering getting either Lifelock or MyFico monitoring. Myfico seems to be a good choice because I get more credit info, such as score updates, but I have to essentially monitor my own credit and deal with any issues. Lifelock has no scores but it has insurance against fraud.

I'm also considering just freezing all my bureaus. If I do this, will myfico still be able to soft pull me for score updates? Or will I only be able to see my scores when I unfreeze the bureaus?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Which monitoring service? Or freeze?

Not sure. I think whoever you've already granted access to pull your reports before the freeze will still have soft pull access during that period of time.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Nothing beats against fraud and identity theft than putting a freeze on. As far as Lifelock is the guy in charge still getting his identity stolen? Smiley Very Happy My opinion might not matter but lifelock should be something you stay away from. Scam is a word that probably fits here..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
Not sure. I think whoever you've already granted access to pull your reports before the freeze will still have soft pull access during that period of time.

Not just the ones that pulled your reports beforehand. Any soft pull.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ibut I have to essentially monitor my own credit

You really should be doing so anyway.  If you're not regularly reviewing your reports then definitely do so.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm also considering just freezing all my bureaus. If I do this, will myfico still be able to soft pull me for score updates? Or will I only be able to see my scores when I unfreeze the bureaus?

Answered above but make sure you look at the freeze info on the CRA sites as well.

Message 5 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Isn't life lock that company where the CEO would post his social security number on TV? If so, that fool got his identity stolen multiple times. Do a quick Google Search and you'll find out. That's a total waste of money IMHO. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I would "freeze."

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you don't plan to app then freezing  will be the best choiceSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.