cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who does HIPAA allow to see your medical bills?

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Who does HIPAA allow to see your medical bills?

I had an emergency knee surgery a couple years ago.  Long story, but I am recently finding out the insurance did not cover large portions of it and they say it is too long ago for them to resubmit claims, so I am on the hook.  Earlier this year, I had been getting letters from a CA for a bill for over $7,000.  Ultimately, they hired an attorney to file suit against me.  When I asked for verification of the debt, I immediately received a copy of a detailed bill from the attorney, who said he received it from the CA.  I settled and didn't think much about it.  Now, the same CA has hired the same attorney to file suit for another bill from the same surgery for over $2,000 this time.  This got me thinking as I write up a request for verification, how many people can the original medical center and CA just pass my detailed bill around to?  It seems odd that both the CA and their hired attorney were allowed to see a detailed breakdown of one of my medical bills.  Do HIPAA rights just go out the window once things are in collections?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Who does HIPAA allow to see your medical bills?

One of my jobs is a ER Medic and I'm tested every 6 months on HIPPA for continuing education credits. With limited exceptions, the HIPAA Privacy Rule provides individuals with a legal, enforceable right to see and receive copies upon request of the information in their medical and other health records maintained by their health care providers and health plans. We can not discuss it here. But look up the HIPPA process since its past re-submitting.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/guidance/access/index.html 

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 4
fm92555
Regular Contributor

I would believe there is a segregation between the diagnosis and knowledge of your illness reported in your medical file compared to line item charges on a bill. 

I can't see where a bill for a procedure would outline your illness which is what HIPAA was designed to protect as most things listed in a bill can use the same tests and procedures for many illnesses.

Could someone make a guess? Yes, but they could guess anyway if for example you go to a cancer clinic, or a urologist.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.