Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who or how to dispute?

tag
Longy

Who or how to dispute?

Hi

I have been trying to fix up my wife's credit for a while now, but unfortunately only recently discovered these forums so have not been able to put to use the great advice offered on here. We want to dispute some information relating to a student loan she has on file.

The background is that she didn't pay it for few years, not sure how this happened, but I guess it was when she moved she never updated her details. In April 2006 we got a demand from a collection agency for the balance. We arranged to send them $200 a month, but I got some extra cash near the end of last year and we paid it in full in November. By this time I had signed up for MyFico and noticed that she was getting no credit for the payments that we were making. Once the full amount was paid we then got an alert saying the account had been paid off, but also a judgement from a couple of years ago relating to that account appeared. Another month later we got an alert saying the judgement had been satisfied.

I realize we are probably stuck with the judgement, but do you think we can appeal that we were making payments from April, as it was showing as late until January? At the very least I would think it should show paid on time from November onwards - I know its only a few months but it may be worth it.

If we can dispute who do we dispute with - the student loan was with one company - but on the credit report it is listed under AMS-SG, and the people who actually were collecting the money was another company. I imagine we either appeal to AMS-SG or direct to the CRA's?

If to the CRA's do you just do this online?

Thanks in advance for your help

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who or how to dispute?

Longy wrote:
Hi

I have been trying to fix up my wife's credit for a while now, but unfortunately only recently discovered these forums so have not been able to put to use the great advice offered on here. We want to dispute some information relating to a student loan she has on file.

The background is that she didn't pay it for few years, not sure how this happened, but I guess it was when she moved she never updated her details. In April 2006 we got a demand from a collection agency for the balance. We arranged to send them $200 a month, but I got some extra cash near the end of last year and we paid it in full in November. By this time I had signed up for MyFico and noticed that she was getting no credit for the payments that we were making. Once the full amount was paid we then got an alert saying the account had been paid off, but also a judgement from a couple of years ago relating to that account appeared. Another month later we got an alert saying the judgement had been satisfied.

I realize we are probably stuck with the judgement, but do you think we can appeal that we were making payments from April, as it was showing as late until January? At the very least I would think it should show paid on time from November onwards - I know its only a few months but it may be worth it.

If we can dispute who do we dispute with - the student loan was with one company - but on the credit report it is listed under AMS-SG, and the people who actually were collecting the money was another company. I imagine we either appeal to AMS-SG or direct to the CRA's?

If to the CRA's do you just do this online?

Thanks in advance for your help

what date does the judgment show?  If it was filed after you made payments or PIF. You should have recourse.

Message 2 of 3
Longy

Re: Who or how to dispute?

It shows as filed in Aug 2005, even though it didn't appear on the report until January 2007 almost 2 months after we paid it off
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.