cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who removes Past due accounts from your credit report after seven years?

tag
QCS123
Established Contributor

Who removes Past due accounts from your credit report after seven years?

Wondering who removes the past due accounts from credit reports after the seven year mark?  I had something odd just happen.  My husband had his very last derogatory account fall off his credit report (I was an authorized user but had the credit bureau's remove it from my report over two years ago).  His scored Spiked by 46 points and 56 points (yahoo!) and of course myfico sent an alert that is was removed.  I signed into my myfico and found that I also have an alert from just Transunion that it was removed from my credit report (no score change)....I'm guessing the creditor put something through for both of us?  If it's Transunion it wouldn't make sense since it wasn't on my credit report????  Anyway just curious!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Who removes Past due accounts from your credit report after seven years?

CRAs remove negative info at legally mandated time, no longer than 7.5 years from DOFD.

Not all CRA will remove negative on the same day, or even same month, it depends on when they do housecleaning 

Message 2 of 13
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@QCS123 wrote:

Wondering who removes the past due accounts from credit reports after the seven year mark?  I had something odd just happen.  My husband had his very last derogatory account fall off his credit report (I was an authorized user but had the credit bureau's remove it from my report over two years ago).  His scored Spiked by 46 points and 56 points (yahoo!) and of course myfico sent an alert that is was removed.  I signed into my myfico and found that I also have an alert from just Transunion that it was removed from my credit report (no score change)....I'm guessing the creditor put something through for both of us?  If it's Transunion it wouldn't make sense since it wasn't on my credit report????  Anyway just curious!

Interesting that it was removed for you long before your husband for the same account.  But I've read (no experience) there are some oddities with the affects of AU accounts sometimes.  Maybe that is the reason you saw no gain??? (no clue).  This is the 1st time I've read difference when it comes to lates.  

Anyway,  congrats to both you and your husband.  A clean file is a breath of fresh air, new beginning.    

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 3 of 13
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@QCS123 wrote:

As far as I have seen it is up to the CRA to remove the the derogs once they reach 7.5 years,  Some remove them a few months prior to make sure they do not go past the mandated amount of time.

Congrats to your husband on those major score points.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trudy wrote:

@QCS123 wrote:

Interesting that it was removed for you long before your husband for the same account.  But I've read (no experience) there are some oddities with the affects of AU accounts sometimes.  Maybe that is the reason you saw no gain??? (no clue).  This is the 1st time I've read difference when it comes to lates.  

Anyway,  congrats to both you and your husband.  A clean file is a breath of fresh air, new beginning.    

That's not strange at all, AU accounts should always be removed as soon as they become negative items, as the authorized user isn't legally responsible for them. Many card issuers automatically do so, and all of them have to if requested.  As for why she got an alert on TU, that's a mystery...seems to me that the account must have still been on there and she hadn't realized it, but who knows. 

Message 6 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The credit report exclusion provisions of the FCRA, as set forth in FCRA 605(a), are imposed on the credit reporting agencies, and not the pary who reported the information.  The CRAs must monitor the time since the relevant date of the respective derogatory item, such as a collection, charge-off, or monthly delinquency, and cease including that adverse item of information from credit reports that they issue after expiration of the applicable exclusion period.

CRAs exclude from your credit report, they do not delete the information from their credit files.

When information is removed by a creditor or a debt collector, it is done by reporting deletion to the CRA.  Creditors and debt collectors are not involved in credit report exclusion of derogs they have reported.

As an aside, when negative info has been removed from your credit report, you usually cannot tell whether it was done due to exclusion by the CRA, or by the specific reporting of a deletion by the creditor or debt collector.

Message 7 of 13
QCS123
Established Contributor

It was removed from my reports because I request the removal as I was an authorized user and not the account holder.  It was easily and quickly removed two years ago.  Yet, then it came off his account, I also got an alert (through myfico) that it was removed from my account...so that was odd...

Message 8 of 13
QCS123
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Trudy wrote:

@QCS123 wrote:

That's not strange at all, AU accounts should always be removed as soon as they become negative items, as the authorized user isn't legally responsible for them. Many card issuers automatically do so, and all of them have to if requested.  As for why she got an alert on TU, that's a mystery...seems to me that the account must have still been on there and she hadn't realized it, but who knows. 

It definitely was not on my report.  After I requested the removal and it was granted, I pulled my report and it was gone...so why I go the alert now...weird...

Message 9 of 13
QCS123
Established Contributor

@Trudy wrote:

@QCS123 wrote:

I know, he's so happy.  I have a year to go for mine to be 100% clean.  I have a late from 6 years ago on a tiny account with a $200 limit...I think it has a minor effect on my FICO score...but we shall see.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.