cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who should I dispute with-the CRA or the OC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who should I dispute with-the CRA or the OC?

I'm new to this and have a question about the dispute process. In reviewing my credit reports I see that a particular creditor is reporting that the account was opened in 2005, but was late 3 times in 2004. On another report this same creditor (same account number) is showing this same account as being opened in 2001. On the TU report the date opened is correct (2005), but the lates are obviously wrong (this account is still open). On EX either the date opened is wrong or the account number is wrong(this account has been paid off but status shows inactive). Should I dispute this or since the lates were in 2004 should I not worry about it? If disputing, who/how do I dispute with? I'm not trying to get the accounts deleted, only the errors corrected/lates removed.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who should I dispute with-the CRA or the OC?

You can dispute as inaccurate with the CRAs. In my experience, I have had entire TLs deleted when the accounts are closed. I have never had any open TLs deleted due to dispute. YMMV.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who should I dispute with-the CRA or the OC?

welcome to the forum conductress!  this link will give you the abbrevs that we all use:

Im not sure if you are asking about 1 account or more.

If you have an account that is still open and shows incorrect lates....send a short letter to the OC  asking to have reporting corrected. (use the address from your CR)

If the account is closed  you stand a chance of it being deleted. This could drop your scores IF it is an old TL

Keep in mind that lates being reported hurt less after 2 years
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.