Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Credit Karma manipulates "payment history."

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Why Credit Karma manipulates "payment history."

A couple things I really like about CK are the open CC account summary showing utilization on each card and another summary showing age of each account.

I think the best feature has been the available historical trending of utilization, inquiries and yes - credit scores. However, I have been unable to get trending since they changed their web site around - except for CBIS. Trending examples shown below.

EQ inquiry history 12-2016.jpgCK reported UT% (includes AU card).jpgVS3 score graph.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 21 of 39
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I'm gonna show my ignorance.  What is CBIS?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 22 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MakingProgressI'm gonna show my ignorance.  What is CBIS?

I believe Credit Based Insurance Scores. 

I didn't even know until yesterday that they existed and definitely not that CK provided them weekly with your update.  CK provides you with CBIS for both auto and home.

Message 23 of 39
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Might not mean much but I like the payments made on time screen.

As a whole, I find CK very useful. 

Screenshot_20180606-223704.png

Message 24 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1Might not mean much but I like the payments made on time screen.

GM, you do realize that the screen you posted above (that I made this thread about) only includes your last 2 years of payment history, right?  I'm sure then you can see how that's extremely misleading to anyone that has late payments or negative items present on their CR that are 2-7 years old.  Someone can have an absolutely filthy credit file with late payments that are all say 2.5-3.5 years old, yet see the same "perfect" image that you posted above.

Message 25 of 39
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1Might not mean much but I like the payments made on time screen.

GM, you do realize that the screen you posted above (that I made this thread about) only includes your last 2 years of payment history, right?  I'm sure then you can see how that's extremely misleading to anyone that has late payments or negative items present on their CR that are 2-7 years old.  Someone can have an absolutely filthy credit file with late payments that are all say 2.5-3.5 years old, yet see the same "perfect" image that you posted above.

Oh yeah totally. A few years ago it wasn't like that. It still displayed baddies on my file from 6 years prior. Is this something that has recently changed?

Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1

Oh yeah totally. A few years ago it wasn't like that. It still displayed baddies on my file from 6 years prior. Is this something that has recently changed?

I joined CK in 2016, so I'm sure it's been this way since at least then.  At the time I had late payments on my CR from 2012-2014, so the most recent ones were taken into account on their payment history summary chart.  This was misleading to me, because it only showed me a few late payments when I knew I had more.  It incorrectly suggested to me that the older ones (even if more severe) didn't matter.  As 2016 went on, the late payments on their graphic went away since they were > 2 years old. 

Pre-2016, I'm not sure how CK presented payment history to members.

Message 27 of 39
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

Many are aware that this graphic only takes into account the last 2 years of payment history:payment history.jpg 

I did not know this! I noticed that an old utility bill CO (which I PFD'ed recently) was reporting 2 lates on my 3B Reports, but not on CK and often wondered why. When I finally pulled the 3B's, I was surprised to find those lates.

In 2015, I most certainly had lates older than 2 years (2010-2012) and my "Payment History" was in the low 90s (Poor/Red). The number of missed payments it showed me with included those older ones. However, once I closed the account that the lates had been on, my payment history went up to 100 (Excellent/Green) on my next update.

Message 28 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  I wonder if that closed vs open thing still is true today.  Can anyone else confirm if they had a late payment in the last 2 years if they closed the account did the CK payment history chart stop "counting" that late payment?

Message 29 of 39
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

I have no late payments within the last 2 years, but I'm still showing payment history at 93%. So, I do believe CK is calculating late payments past the 2 year mark for me, otherwise mine should show at 100%. My last late payment was 2.4 months ago (20 late payments).
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.