Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Freeze your Reports?

tag
rbentley
Established Contributor

Why Freeze your Reports?

I have been seeing a number of posts where people have talked about their reports being frozen.  I understand that you would do that if one of your creditors had a breach and you feared identity theft, but many of the posts seem to imply that there is some strategy in doing this and I wonder why, other than the data breach mentioned above?  Wouldn't freezing your reports stop you from getting prequals, free scores and CLI's.  Is there any benefit other than locking down your identity?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Freeze your Reports?

I do it to keep the reports nice and fresh.

Seriously though, I use credit lock features in place of freeze for instant control, I do it mainly for identity theft prevention after the EQ data breach, it does not affect prequals, CLIs, SPs or credit monitoring services with whom I already have relationships with. That said, I think freeze does help with 3AM impulse applicants with itchy fingers. Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There are other reasons for some people freezing their credit reports but due to MyFICO's ToS we aren't allowed to discuss them here. If you really are interested in some answers pretty sure a simple Google search will give you what you need.

Message 3 of 9
rbentley
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

There are other reasons for some people freezing their credit reports but due to MyFICO's ToS we aren't allowed to discuss them here. If you really are interested in some answers pretty sure a simple Google search will give you what you need.

Ah, that explains the mystery in the way freezes are sometimes talked about.  I got a feeling that there was a "wink and a nod" kind of thing going on and that explains it. 

Message 4 of 9
OmarR
Established Contributor

@rbentley wrote:

Wouldn't freezing your reports stop you from getting prequals, free scores and CLI's.  Is there any benefit other than locking down your identity?

You are correct that it is an inconvenience when it comes to prequals, free scores and CLI's. *Some* of your existing relationships with cards allow them to still pull some of your info.

But as for reasons to freeze your credit reports? The simple answer is: Other Dishonest People.

People casually shop for something like a car, and then get mad when they specifically tell the salesperson to NOT run their credit and they do it anyway, taking the hard inquiry. I would get mad too, but with a freeze, I don't take the hard inquiry and they don't get my business since they can't follow directions.

My wife loosely knows a girl who recently got a denial credit letter for a used car purchase. The only problem? It wasn't her. It was the POS father of her child, whom she has no relationship with and who lives 3-4 states away. This dishonest person has access to ALL of her information.

I think another group set that should ALL have their credit frozen is ANYONE in the military. As military people already know, every piece of paper that has your name on it also has your FULL social security number on it. At least it did until 2010, and I doubt it has changed at all.

Even though i am supposed to trust them, several people in HR at my place of employment have full access to my information, not to mention all the people I have never met at my corporate office building, which is on the other side of the country.

I have all 3 frozen and don't look back. However, I will admit that I am happy with my profile, not seeking any new credit or CLI's, so having my 3 reports frozen does not present a problem or inconvenience for me.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 5 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

We're not allowed to talk about freezes for the purposes of manipulating credit decisions, but talking about freezes for the purpose of security is fine.

I'll second what oldman mentioned. If you have the ability to lock available, it's more convenient than a freeze because you have total and immediate control over them.

Message 6 of 9
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

I freeze mine because...

1) it makes me think really thoroughly about my future credit decisions...prevents on the fly 'just because' apping...

2) there are too many dishonest people in the world (& unfortunately in my family)...keeps me feeling a little safer...

Message 7 of 9
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do it to keep the reports nice and fresh.

Seriously though, I use credit lock features in place of freeze for instant control, I do it mainly for identity theft prevention after the EQ data breach, it does not affect prequals, CLIs, SPs or credit monitoring services with whom I already have relationships with. That said, I think freeze does help with 3AM impulse applicants with itchy fingers. Smiley Tongue

I am guilty of an itchy finger!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 8 of 9
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

We're not allowed to talk about freezes for the purposes of manipulating credit decisions, but talking about freezes for the purpose of security is fine.

I'll second what oldman mentioned. If you have the ability to lock available, it's more convenient than a freeze because you have total and immediate control over them.

I freeze my credit bureaus because it is inconvenient. For me, I want to have to think about unfreezing my bureaus to apply for credit and I am too lazy to look up my PINs to do that on an impulse credit application. The added benefit is a freeze thwarts credit evil doers!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.