cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why banks don't give away free FICO score?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Why banks don't give away free FICO score?

We've seen very few cases that banks/CU giving away complimentery or paid FICO score, Walmart card/ DCU are among the few exceptions. What's the reason behind this? I seriously doubt it's purely a matter of fee of acquiring FICO score, because plenty of lenders should be able to offer these complimentary service to their AF card customers. 

Anyone got ideas on this? Thanks. Smiley Happy

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Why banks don't give away free FICO score?

I think they have to pay Fair Issac to get the scores so its a reason of costs unless they are already using the FICO scores for Auto CLI  decissions such as GE maybe doing already

Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I assume the main reason is the costs. AFs would not come close to cover a monthly CS fee.
Message 3 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

In addition to cost, it's not a benefit that too many people care about.  You can get a distorted perspective hanging around these forums. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I assume the main reason is the costs. AFs would not come close to cover a monthly CS fee.

I assume the fee of acquiring a single FICO score is under $5 for banks, or I cannot immgaine Walmart  or DCU pays $60 per year for the CC or checking account customer.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

A fee which offset by Walmart's high APR ( we are not the norm by PIF) and which there are dwindling CUs offering the free CS. Comparing the number of DCUs account holders to the 100,000's say a CapOne may have is an unfair comparison.

Bottom line for cc's companies and banks is their bottom line. Why offer anything for free?
Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to most (most all) people not caring. If customers don't care, then creditors don't either. It's easier to be on an affiliate program with a FAKO-based service. But you can get a FICO from Merrick Bank and Wal-Mart if you have their CC, from DCU, PSECU, M&T Bank, Unitus Community CU if you have their checking, and a host of other CUs out there who will provide it to you if you ask them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.