Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why creditkarma is terrible

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Why creditkarma is terrible

I log in just now as i use it for a monitoring service and it suggests the venture one. For one i know i would probaly be denied due to inquiries and for two minus the sign up bonus its not as good as qs. I know they get paid for advertisement just like myfico but why make it so tempting...20000 bonus miles on 1000 spend

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Why creditkarma is terrible

I ignore the ads or at least look at other sites to find better signing bonuses when I do apply. I think Credit karma has good monitoring, wish it was daily like it used to be. But still useful toss out the scores, look at the details and what has  changed, and you will be getting the best part of CK, also checkout the new Credit Report Beta, seems to be decent.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Yeah CK is decent for keeping track of their accounts but their offers are often quite sketchy. They once recommended me the Chase Freedom and I tried applying for it and was denied at the time. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Some find CK is useful for things like gauging "CR reporting dates approx), some over view on how your balances compare and/or rotate, and the Beta Credit Report etc.

The scores are expected to be the FAKOS that they are because CK would have to pay FICO for those, a non issue. Smiley Wink

As far as advertisements those can be dismissed too IMO. They always show a card that they say i'm eligible for AFTER THE FACT Smiley Very Happy  and never before.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

like mentioned above the detailed info is good and onpoint. but the score are Fako. for exaple my credit score in CK is 758 . which my real fico score is 765. its the closest its been but i used to have like a 30+ point difference

Message 5 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

moved to General Credit

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

My FICO is always at least 40 points higher then CK FAKES thank goodness Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

My FICO is always at least 40 points higher then CK FAKES thank goodness Smiley Surprised

Just have to know what ck is good for imo. I don't see any other free service that does both free credit report and monitoring. Anything else they offer is gravy IMO.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 24
Nw2Fico

I too get Venture card offer despite all three reports being locked. Does anyone know if Capital one does in fact pull all 3 reports to make a decision?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Just have to know what ck is good for imo. I don't see any other free service that does both free credit report and monitoring. Anything else they offer is gravy IMO.

Message 9 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes,cap one pulls all three for all of their cc. They are one company that does that. I can vouch for that
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.