Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do credit unions use older FICO models

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Why do credit unions use older FICO models

It seems that credit unions favor using older FICO scoring models than banks do.

Does anyone have a handle on why that is?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do credit unions use older FICO models

Interesting question, SJ!  Curious to hear what people say.  I assume you are including under the rubrik of "bank" all big for-profit credit card issuers, even if they are known primarily for their cards and not as a place to have savings and checking accounts.  Amex, for example.  I think they use FICO 8, right?

I do know that Wells Fargo is an exception to the rule you are suggesting.  They use really old FICO models.  FICO 98 if I remember right.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two suggestions:

1) Perhaps the older products are cheaper to subscribe to or to implement technologically, and good enough;

or

2) Credit unions tend to be more conservative in their loan underwriting than for-profit banks, so perhaps they are hesitant to adopt less-tested (and probably more forgiving) models

Message 3 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

Before my small branch was bought out by a large, local CU, they used V3 TU for personal loan and CC app's.  It was pretty sweet, lol.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once a score is developed, the creditor must evaluate what it means.

That requires an understanding of scoring model that created it.

Shifting to a new model requires retraining of employees on the affect of using any new model on the resulting score.

Smaller creditors may not wish to incur such costs.......

Message 5 of 6
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Amex uses EX-08 as their base score, but I bet they add their own special sauce to it.  Basically, I think they use an internal score.  Chase is known to use CARS for credit cards.  US Bank uses TU-04 BE.   Cap1 primary score is EQ-04 scores. And as has been mentioned WellsFargo is at EX-98 BE.  It is time consuming and expensive to evaluate a new credit model.   It isn't just small CUs that haven't updated to the newer models. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.