cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do some cards show up on credit reports as "Line of Credit", rather than "Credit Card"?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Why do some cards show up on credit reports as "Line of Credit", rather than "Credit Card"?

I was just curious as to why do some cards may show up on credit reports as "Line of Credit" rather than "Credit Card", under the "Type" field?  I have had at least 2 credit cards before which have reported like this?

ETA:  also on my CK report, one of the credit cards displaying as "Line of Credit" appears to be reporting the Highest Balance, but not the credit limit itself?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do some cards show up on credit reports as "Line of Credit", rather than "Cre

galahad15 as it relates to my credit bureau reports my Line of Credits report from checking overdraft and a separate true line of credit that has a credit access card and checks to use. Interest rates vary and all are truly lines of credit. Have several.
Message 2 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do some cards show up on credit reports as "Line of Credit", rather than "Cre

Also:  I just checked and noticed that depending on the specific credit report vendor, I have one card that reports as either "Line of Credit" or "Credit Line" on some credit reports, but as "Revolving" on others...

Message 3 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Thanks Dinosaur!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

Thanks Dinosaur!

See your confusion! You are seeing mixed reporting for credit cards that are really not Lines of Credit. Wonder if the lenders have anything to do with the reporting. That is to say, are they seeing some credit cards as both credit cards/lines of credit? Seems bizzare and I can't justify my thinking but ...? Seems somewhere in my past (not now) I ran into this confused reporting. Note, if my recall is accurate, it did not affect my actual Fico Scores and how the calculations were run (just looked strange). Today, my Lines of Credit get thrown in with the credit cards on my Fico Reports. Hope this confusion makes some sense?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CU always reported my CU CC as a "loan" but my other CC's always reported as CC's. I don't know if this corresponds for you or not, but that's how it worked on my reports. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.