cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the big gap in all 3 scores on Experian and Equifax report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why the big gap in all 3 scores on Experian and Equifax report?

I recently applied for the Capital One Savor and Bank of America Premium Rewards cards thinking I would be ok since my credit is in the mid 600s.When i was turned down I got a letter stating that my Equifax was too low.So i pulled my credit reports from the Equifax website and found that all of my scores were 100 points or more lower than on Experian.

I looked over the credit reports and the information seems accurate.If the information is the same on both bureaus why the big jump?

Scores from Equifax
Equifax - 527   Transunion - 503   Experian - 510

FICO scores from Experian

Equifax - 647   Transunion - 643   Experian - 634

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why the big gap in all 3 scores on Experian and Equifax report?

Capital One do not use FICO 8 scores for approvals.  They use FICO 5.  

You probably will need to pull your reports from myfico or CCT to get the FICO 5 score.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Scores from Equifax

It looks like our friend may be subscribing to a credit monitoring tool from EQ and another from EX.  The EQ product might not even be supplying FICO scores at all.

The advice to sign up for a single product that gives all scores for all bureaus is the best, given the question our friend is trying to answer.  That product would be the myFICO Ultimate, though personally I would cancel it after a week since $40/mo is a ton of money to pay.  All our friend really needs on an ongoing basis (i.e. after the Capital One question is answered) is the three FICO 8 scores which can be obtained for $1 maybe once a month or even once a quarter.  And there are a lot of free tools that offer frequent free reports.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the case for me too on equifax. I cancelled they arent selling FICO scores IMHO. Their 3B report is so far off from the myFICO report (and EX report). Their own score for me is different. Probably a different version than what I want so I don't waste my time or money.
Message 4 of 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied for the Capital One Savor and Bank of America Premium Rewards cards thinking I would be ok since my credit is in the mid 600s.When i was turned down I got a letter stating that my Equifax was too low.So i pulled my credit reports from the Equifax website and found that all of my scores were 100 points or more lower than on Experian.

I looked over the credit reports and the information seems accurate.If the information is the same on both bureaus why the big jump?

Scores from Equifax

Experian provides FICO 8. 

Equifax provides their proprietary Equifax score.  From their website: 

"Equifax® 3-Bureau credit scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model. Third parties use many different types of credit scores and will not use the Equifax 3-Bureau credit scores to assess your creditworthiness."

The FICO Scores from Experian are the ones with which you should concern yourself.    It is possible Cap One and BOA use a different version of FICO than FICO 8. 

The Experian site will provide all 7 versions of your Experian FICO, but only the FICO 8 version for Equifax and Transunion.   To get all 28 versions of your FICO score you will need to purchase them from myFICO.    

Note: The CCT $1 trial (mentioned by a prior poster) is the exact same thing as what you are getting from Experian (Experian bought them out a couple of months ago).  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 6
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

@kiea wrote:

Capital One do not use FICO 8 scores for approvals.  They use FICO 5.  

You probably will need to pull your reports from myfico or CCT to get the FICO 5 score.

I did not know this.  Interesting.  

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.