Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife fell for Phishing scam, Chase closed my accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife fell for Phishing scam, Chase closed my accounts

My wife, was the victim of a phishing scam and purchased google play cards at 2 stores and provided the number (to her Boss she thought, this kind of request is not out of character from her employer...).

Found out the next day she was scammed, I immediately alerted Chase this was the case and said I would, of course, pay Chase for the charges. Chase, a week later closed my 2 CC accounts with them (terminated the relationship, of course, I still need to pay all balances). I called and they are reviewing.

My question is, if this does not go my way (I think I did the right things - alerted the company, filed an FTC complaint, agreed it was our mistake and said we would pay..., etc.) how will those closed accounts affect my credit?  Will other providers then close their accounts?  I travel extensively for work and that would cause me to likely lose my job...  What are the chances it will go my way and Chase will do the right thing?  Would there be any other recourse? I currently have a high credit score.

Anyone have any experience with this? I searched around and could not find the exact matching issue.

Thank you

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wife fell for Phishing scam, Chase closed my accounts

Hi and welcome to the forums OP.

Sorry to hear about your Chase account closures. Is your wife an AU on your Chase CCs and what were the total amounts on said GCs? Do you also have a depository relationship with Chase or just the CCs?
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife is AU. This was her first use of the card... 2 x $500 charges at 2 stores (of course).
2 CCs and a car lease, no depository account
Message 3 of 25
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I travel extensively for work and that would cause me to likely lose my job.

With good credit scores, and income you should be able to get other cards no mater what Chase does.  Many travel that do not have CC's, debit cards work just fine.  You should be in no danger of job loss, maybe cards with less rewards or transferring money into checking to use a debit.

What are the chances it will go my way and Chase will do the right thing? 

No one  knows for sure, it is a wait and see.

Would there be any other recourse?    I currently have a high credit score.

I would not jump the gun and get new cards until it is settled with Chase.

You could lower your scores and have worthless cards you won't use.

If you have other cards you can use, even if they don't have the same rewards you should be fine.  If you don't have other cards I would be building up my checking, planing for travel on a debit card and be looking at other travel cards I could apply for.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, my experience in the past is that banks jump on the actions of other banks. So I am worried that my other accounts with other banks could be affected, not to mention my credit score if Chase keeps those accounts closed.

Any thoughts there?

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately this type of scam is becoming more and more common nowadays. We really can't give you a definitive answer of what the manual review will decide, but hopefully since you offered to reimburse and she was only an AU they'll take that into consideration. Keep us updated! Also welcome to the forums, sorry it's under these circumstances.
Message 6 of 25
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Sorry this happened. Lots of crappy people out there.

Why alert the bank at all if your wife was the one who purchased the cards in person ? Even though she was scammed she made the charges herself for giftcards thus the banks chargeback process has no role in this.

Chase will likely close the accounts without reversal in my opinion and not give two craps. Somehow they viewed this activity as suspicious and don’t want any part in this. Chase is very risk adverse and closed accounts at the slightest hint of risk.

I’m not sure I’m understanding the entire picture either based on the little bit of details you posted.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My biggest concern is the impact on my credit scores if 50% of my available credit is suddenly closed and whether other banks will follow suit closing other cards.
Message 8 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi all

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding what happened. Can someone explain it to me so I can make absolute sure that I never do it? Thanks.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

Your fact pattern lacks a lot of details and it just sounds sketchy. If you are a new chase customer and this happened then I don't think they will want anything to do with you going forward. If you have an established history with chase maybe they would reconsider but you have left out many crucial details, so its not even clear what transpired. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.