cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife is an AU on cards, mortgage is joint. Score effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife is an AU on cards, mortgage is joint. Score effect?

So my wife and I have a mortgage together but she has no cards. She is an AU on 4 of my cards (low utilization on all, CLs are $45K total). We have had the mortgage for almost 2 years. Everything is 100% on time. How do you think this has improved her score? She used to get offers from Credit One but we haven't seen them lately. She did get an email from USAA to apply for a card (a first), we have a joint checking account there. I'm a little happy about this as she wants to get a couple of cards. What does the community think?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Wife is an AU on cards, mortgage is joint. Score effect?

Not sure how AU status is affecting her score. Regardless, she should absolutely get a no annual fee revolving account (or two) in her name to build credit history. Perhaps a USAA Visa/AMEX credit card and a Discover card.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One stop sending offers might be a good sign.
Message 3 of 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

She needs to apply for a couple of No Fee cards (Discover is great) and use it on occasion to build her credit. So you guys have no car loans, student loans etc?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The car loan is mine. I have 2 PLUS loans for our daughter. My score is in the high 700s (FICO 8). All she has is the mortgage on her reports.
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Creditors can obtain listings from the CRAs of names  and addresses of consumers who meet certain specified screening criteria.

The so-called promotional offers for credit that are then sent to consumers on the listing screen out any consumer who does not meet their stated criteria.  Offers sent based on a listing obtained from a CRA are then requried to be "firm offers for credit" under the FCRA that must be honored if the consumer applies and is found to still meet the criteria set forth in their request for the listing.

If the creditor wishes not to send firm offers to consumers whose files include AU accounts, that could be one of the screening criteria in their request for a listing.  Consumers with AU accounts mean that their scores are not based soley on their own prior history, and thus a creditor might not wish to offer credit until they can review a score that is based only on the consumer's own history.

Thus, having AU accounts could be a basis for no longer receiving promotional offers for credit that were being sent prior to addition of AU accounts to the consumer's credit file/report.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm back in with Navy Federal, so we're going there for a couple of CC's. She should get a great SL.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.