cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a 0% Loan still show on my credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will a 0% Loan still show on my credit report?

Will a 0% loan for 36 months still show as a credit buliding line of credit on my credit report? It will be taken through either Synchrony or FreedomRoad.

Also, if I want to credit boost my spouse will having them as a cosigner be benficial for them? It will show for them too?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will a 0% Loan still show on my credit report?

A loan is a loan is a loan.  The interest rate on it isn't relevant to Fico scoring.  So yes, your 0% loan will show up on your CR.  Whether you consider it "credit building" or not is arguable depending on the rest of your file.  If the loan is co-signed, it show up on the CR of person that co-signs it as well.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 8 total accounts (7 CC and 1 mortgage). No hard inquires. Utilization under 10%. No derogatory marks. 10 years average age of accounts. Oldest is 30 years and youngest is 1 year.

I was thinking I’d benefit from another account. This would be a motorcycle loan (auto I think).

I don’t really have a set score goal. I’m just trying to see how high I can get my score safely without much effort.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

8 total accounts (open and closed combined) or just 8 open accounts?

A move from 8 accounts to 9 accounts is a non-factor when it comes to Fico scoring.  You've already got a non-thin file, so that box is checked off.  Do you have any other open installment loans currently?  If so, what is the current balance / original balance(s)?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My only installment is the mortgage. Original balance 100k and current balance 84k.

5 open accounts (4 CC, 1 mortgage)
3 closed (2 CC, 1 auto)

Also, I misquoted my CC accounts in my original post. My bad.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have an open mortgage in place, adding another installment loan will add nothing of value (no points at all) to your Fico scores and could only drop your score(s) due to the inquiry and age of accounts reductions from a new account.

If you youngest account is > 12 months old, which it sounds like is the case from your second post, opening a new account will reset your AoYA to 0 months and typically drop your Fico scores 15-25 points on a profile such as yours.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be of any value to my credit profile down the road. In say 3-4 years. I have no other credit plans until then.
Message 7 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Will a 0% loan for 36 months still show as a credit buliding line of credit on my credit report? It will be taken through either Synchrony or FreedomRoad.

Also, if I want to credit boost my spouse will having them as a cosigner be benficial for them? It will show for them too?

Yes it shows up just like any other installment loan.

I would not recommend having your spouse cosign. Having a new loan creates more negatives than positives for most people.  Without knowing her whole profile I can't exactly be sure as to how it will affect her scores... but don't do it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have 8 total accounts (7 CC and 1 mortgage). No hard inquires. Utilization under 10%. No derogatory marks. 10 years average age of accounts. Oldest is 30 years and youngest is 1 year.

I was thinking I’d benefit from another account. This would be a motorcycle loan (auto I think).

I don’t really have a set score goal. I’m just trying to see how high I can get my score safely without much effort.

This loan will accomplish absolutely nothing for you, except REDUCE your score. You already have a mortgage. You gain nothing from another installment loan.

But you will lose points from it.

Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Would it be of any value to my credit profile down the road. In say 3-4 years. I have no other credit plans until then.

No it is of no value to you whatsoever, unless you enjoy losing points.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.