cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a paid tax lien be negative on credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will a paid tax lien be negative on credit report?

Hello,

This is my first time posting here.  I'm getting ready to send in a payment agreement for some state income taxes that I owe.  It's an agreement to pay so much per month and they take it straight out of your checking account.  It says on the form that they will file a state tax lien to protect the state's interest, but that they will release the lien after the debt is paid.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  How badly will this affect our credit scores?  My husband's score is in the mid 700s and mine is around 700.

It would be very difficult to pay this all of at once (maybe impossible), but I don't want to impact our credit score since we are interested in refinancing our house soon.  Will it only be considered a negative while unpaid, or will it still be negative once paid?

I was told that they don't report it to the CUs, rather that they pick it up on their own since it will be a public record.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will a paid tax lien be negative on credit report?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

This is my first time posting here.  I'm getting ready to send in a payment agreement for some state income taxes that I owe.  It's an agreement to pay so much per month and they take it straight out of your checking account.  It says on the form that they will file a state tax lien to protect the state's interest, but that they will release the lien after the debt is paid.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  How badly will this affect our credit scores?  My husband's score is in the mid 700s and mine is around 700.

It would be very difficult to pay this all of at once (maybe impossible), but I don't want to impact our credit score since we are interested in refinancing our house soon.  Will it only be considered a negative while unpaid, or will it still be negative once paid?

I was told that they don't report it to the CUs, rather that they pick it up on their own since it will be a public record.

Welcome to the forums.

Any public record like a tax lien is considered a major derogatory and will hurt your scores quite a bit but it's hard to say exactly how much because often it depends on what your reports look like before the PR is added.

It is scored the same whether paid or unpaid although a lender might look more favorably in manual underwriting if it was paid.

A paid lien will stay on your reports for 7 years and although an unpaid tax lien can theoretically remain forever they too usually drop off after 7 years.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.  I think I came up with a good alternative.  One on my CC that I don't use much had a balance transfer offer.  I sent the money to pay off the state and will have 0% apr until 8/1/11 which is more time than I was going to ask the state for to pay off the debt.  This way I won't get a tax lien and I won't accrue additional interest while I'm paying it off.  Yes, I did have to pay 3% fee, but it's worth it.

Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I think I came up with a good alternative.  One on my CC that I don't use much had a balance transfer offer.  I sent the money to pay off the state and will have 0% apr until 8/1/11 which is more time than I was going to ask the state for to pay off the debt.  This way I won't get a tax lien and I won't accrue additional interest while I'm paying it off.  Yes, I did have to pay 3% fee, but it's worth it.

That sounds like an excellent plan. A 3% fee compared to a tax lien is a no brainer.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that 3% was indeed a fair trade in comparison to a lien on your credit, I didn't have the option to do that, and my credit took a 68 point hi

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.