cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will closing a credit card help AoA IF...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will closing a credit card help AoA IF...

Hey all,

I got 3 credit cards within a short period of time (2 months, maybe) and got penalized for it.  If I close one of those cards, will it helps by adding back to my AoA, since every card shortens it?  I hope I'm not clear as mud here Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will closing a credit card help AoA IF...

No.  Closed accounts count the same toward AAoA under FICO scoring as open accounts do.  If you closed them now, they will continue to impact your AAoA for 10 more years until they fall off.

You won't gain anything AAoA wise from closing them, so since you've already taken the inquiry hit opening them you may as well keep them open.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer!  Thanks for replying!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer now maybe, but think on the flipside that 10 years from now and longer (if you keep them open) you'll have that many more old accounts factoring into your AAoA, strengthening it. 

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can contact the creditor and make a request that they delete all reporting, which will remove the account from your AAoA calculation.....

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a very good point above, I hadn't actually thought about that option and it's certainly a smart one for anyone that opens an account and decides to quickly close it for whatever reason.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.