Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will upgrade impact my AAOA?

tag
PrimeHokage
Established Member

Will upgrade impact my AAOA?

I am looking to update my oldest credit card. A capital one platinum. In doing this will capital one give me a new account starting me a zero or will I still have the 8 years I have now?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will upgrade impact my AAOA?

It won’t affect your AAOA
Message 2 of 12
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

As mentioned you will not get a new tradeline on your reports for the upgrade and your AAOA will remain the same.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 3 of 12
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

Usually product changes or product upgrades will keep the credit history. There are certain exceptions to this rule but I don’t believe those apply to this situation.

A new account number doesn’t imply that you will loose the history on its own but certain banks reporting practices may depending on how they report the product change or in some instances fraud.

It’s been a while since I’ve dealt with capital one but I believe the above responses are correct and that it would not be considered a new trade line thus keeping the history.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 12
New Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Welcome to the forums.

Usually product changes or product upgrades will keep the credit history. There are certain exceptions to this rule but I don’t believe those apply to this situation.

What are the exceptions based on?  The respective individual or company?  Assuming the later, but I'm looking at a PC on two 20 year old accounts so obviously don't want to learn the exceptions the hard way Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo.

Product change will look like closing old account and opening new account on credit report.

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Correct; most lenders will keep the entire history and either nothing at all will change with the reporting or the "new" card will just replace your existing one retaining all of its history.  Never a bad idea to ask here about particular lenders, though.  CapOne I can confirm that nothing at all changes in regard to product changes.

Message 7 of 12
New Contributor

Good to know.  What about BofA and Chase?  Do they maintain AAOA or reset?

@K-in Boston  just looking at another thread where you said that co-branded Chase cannot be PC into Chase Freedome etc.  Combining your feedback from these threads leads to a...

Nuanced question, can you PC a United Chase to another United Chase?  eg - legacy product into say, United Explorer or Club Card?

without AAoA reset?

edit: I see you already replied here, but I also saw your reply in the other thread (linked here if anyone stumbles across this some day)

Message 8 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Bank of America and Chase both retain all account information with a product change.

Yes, you should be able to change between any of the 9 personal United credit cards, and there would be no change in the account age.

Message 9 of 12
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Others will confirm about cap one but for future readers going through this thread I can say about BofA and Citi PC or upgrades do not affect AAoA. The new cards after PC are reported as same old accounts from before.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.