Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless "Credit Checks"

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Wireless "Credit Checks"

Good evening everyone!

I'm having to look for a wireless provider and rather quickly.  I wanted to come to the board first and find out about their "credit checks."  I'm currently with Verizon and may have to assume my number through them on my own.  I know they have a "pre-qualify."  Is this a hard pull or a soft pull?  The same question goes with Sprint.  I'm looking into them as well and wondering what pull they do.  I'd really rather not have an inquiry on my credit report for something that isn't even going to report each month.  Also, I'm not going the pre-paid route either.  Anyone have any experience, thoughts, or advice?  Thanks!!!!

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: Wireless "Credit Checks"

@dsotm76 wrote:

Good evening everyone!

I'm having to look for a wireless provider and rather quickly.  I wanted to come to the board first and find out about their "credit checks."  I'm currently with Verizon and may have to assume my number through them on my own.  I know they have a "pre-qualify."  Is this a hard pull or a soft pull?  The same question goes with Sprint.  I'm looking into them as well and wondering what pull they do.  I'd really rather not have an inquiry on my credit report for something that isn't even going to report each month.  Also, I'm not going the pre-paid route either.  Anyone have any experience, thoughts, or advice?  Thanks!!!!

While I can't answer your question, I would like to offer you some advice. That is, if you are contemplating a contract with Sprint, please be mindful of the possible future T-Mobile acquisition of Sprint. If you are not already familiar with it, Google it. I don't want you to feel regretful down the road--especially if you are considering purchasing an expensive cell phone at this moment.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 16
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

@dsotm76

While I can't answer your question, I would like to offer you some advice. That is, if you are contemplating a contract with Sprint, please be mindful of the possible future T-Mobile acquisition of Sprint. If you are not already familiar with it, Google it. I don't want you to feel regretful down the road--especially if you are considering purchasing an expensive cell phone at this moment.

Thank you so much for that advice.  I had heard about the possible merger.  Fortunately, my phone is kinda current (an S8+)...or current enough to get me another year or two.  I do need to Google more on it though.

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Message 3 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@dsotm76 wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

@dsotm76

Thank you so much for that advice.  I had heard about the possible merger.  Fortunately, my phone is kinda current (an S8+)...or current enough to get me another year or two.  I do need to Google more on it though.

YW! Yes because T-Mobile phones are not compatible with Verizon/Sprint as T-Mobile operates on the GSM Network, and the other 2 operate on CDMA Network.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 16
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

@dsotm76

YW! Yes because T-Mobile phones are not compatible with Verizon/Sprint as T-Mobile operates on the GSM Network, and the other 2 operate on CDMA Network.

Interesting.  I'll have to mention that to a friend of mine that works for Sprint and ask what would happen in that case.  

Message 5 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

If you already have a GSM phone, T-Mobile will not require a hard pull. The hard pull is not for service only. Their HP applies to the cost of financing a phone from them--a cost that would be incorporated into your monthly plan.

Message 6 of 16
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

That's also good info to know.  I'm wondering if Sprint or Verizon will do the same thing if I'm bringing my phone with me.  I really don't want to get another phone at this moment so I'm avoiding that route.  LOL

Message 7 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

I already asked. T-Mobile said folks would then have to purchase a new phone or bring their own GSM phone. That is why I would be worried about losing $ if that merger goes through.

Message 8 of 16
iv
Valued Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

That's less of a problem than it used to be - many of the common handsets (both Apple and Android) these days are LTE + GSM/CDMA, and will work with LTE SIMs (or embedded SIMs) on any network.

I've moved multiple handsets back and forth between Verizon, T-Mobile, and Fi (which is T-Mobile+Sprint service at the "same time", kinda) in the last few years.

Do check the specs on your specific phone to make sure, though. (Some have only limited bands available, so they may work, but only in some areas.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 9 of 16
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

So much misinformation in this thread.

If you go with a postpaid plan, they WILL ALL pull your credit, likely a triple pull. They report the credit status of their customer base to investors and banks so they have to pull it. Verizon phones are unlocked and will work with AT&T or T-mobile, as long as you own it free and clear. Only a select few phones will work with Sprint that weren't purchased from Sprint. Basically, anything Motorola or Google.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.