Did you mean: 

Wireless "Credit Checks"

tag
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Wireless "Credit Checks"

@kilroy8 wrote:

So much misinformation in this thread. 

Indeed. But that's no reason to add more!

@kilroy8 wrote:

If you go with a postpaid plan, they WILL ALL pull your credit, likely a triple pull. 

False.  Sometimes they will pull. Sometimes they will not. Only very rarely will they triple pull. YMMV.

@kilroy8 wrote:

Verizon phones are unlocked and will work with AT&T or T-mobile, as long as you own it free and clear.

True...

@kilroy8 wrote:

Only a select few phones will work with Sprint that weren't purchased from Sprint. Basically, anything Motorola or Google. 

False. For instance, any recent iPhone (SE/6S/7/8/X) bought directly from Apple unlocked will work on any US carrier. Same with Samsung, etc...

It is true that some phones purchased FROM A CARRIER will not always work on a carrier of the opposite (GSM/CDMA) type, and some Verizon-sold CDMA phones will not even work fully or at all on Sprint. (But Sprint-sold phones will frequently work everywhere.)

But phones purchased as unlocked today will usually work on all carriers.  And many ATT/T-Mobile-sold phones that claim not to support CDMA will frequently at least work on Verizon fully, and Sprint on some bands, if you actually try out the appropriate SIM.  (You may need to order just a bare SIM from the new carrier, rather than telling them what model phone you are bringing.)

So in practice, just check the detailed specs for the specific model phone you have (or are planning on getting).  When in doubt, get the manufacturer-sold "unlocked" version, or the "world/global" version.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 11 of 16
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@iv wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

So much misinformation in this thread. 

Indeed. But that's no reason to add more!

@kilroy8 wrote:

If you go with a postpaid plan, they WILL ALL pull your credit, likely a triple pull. 

False.  Sometimes they will pull. Sometimes they will not. Only very rarely will they triple pull. YMMV.

@kilroy8 wrote:

Verizon phones are unlocked and will work with AT&T or T-mobile, as long as you own it free and clear.

True...

@kilroy8 wrote:

Only a select few phones will work with Sprint that weren't purchased from Sprint. Basically, anything Motorola or Google. 

False. For instance, any recent iPhone (SE/6S/7/8/X) bought directly from Apple unlocked will work on any US carrier. Same with Samsung, etc...

It is true that some phones purchased FROM A CARRIER will not always work on a carrier of the opposite (GSM/CDMA) type, and some Verizon-sold CDMA phones will not even work fully or at all on Sprint. (But Sprint-sold phones will frequently work everywhere.)

But phones purchased as unlocked today will usually work on all carriers.  And many ATT/T-Mobile-sold phones that claim not to support CDMA will frequently at least work on Verizon fully, and Sprint on some bands, if you actually try out the appropriate SIM.  (You may need to order just a bare SIM from the new carrier, rather than telling them what model phone you are bringing.)

So in practice, just check the detailed specs for the specific model phone you have (or are planning on getting).  When in doubt, get the manufacturer-sold "unlocked" version, or the "world/global" version.

Not to argue, but you are very wrong. Show me a postpaid plan than doesn't pull credit. Show me a Samsung phone not purchased from Sprint that will work on Sprint. They don't exist.

Message 12 of 16
iv
Valued Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:
Not to argue, but you are very wrong. Show me a postpaid plan than doesn't pull credit. Show me a Samsung phone not purchased from Sprint that will work on Sprint. They don't exist.

That's an odd way not to argue...

The last three times I've changed providers (yes, post-paid plans), I haven't had a single pull (let alone a triple-pull).

It likely helps that I've been bringing my own devices, rather than "leasing" them.

Again, YMMV. (And it clearly has.)

As for Samsung phone compatibility... Every. Single. Factory unlocked. Samsung. S-series phone. In the last three generations. Just like Apple.

Just buy it directly from Samsung, unlocked (via the appropriately-named "Unlocked by Samsung" program...), and it will work on all US networks. (Yes, including Sprint.) Also just like Apple.

Don't want to believe me? Believe Samsung:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/unlocked-by-samsung/

Wireless voice, data and messaging services on Samsung Unlocked Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge devices are compatible with most major U.S. GSM and CDMA networks. For these devices, wireless services are available on GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA networks such as Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular®.

LG offers something similar with the V30 and V30+. Again, buy direct from LG, unlocked, and it will support all major US carriers. (Yes, including Sprint.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 13 of 16
Sloedough
Regular Contributor

I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm just a really happy customer.

I use Google's Project Fi. No credit checks. No contract. $20 a month and $10 a gig. If you go over 6 gigs, they stop charging you, but you will still get full speed data. I pay an average of $38 a month.

For more information just Google, Project Fi.

The only downside is you must use a Pixel Moto X4 or a Nexus.

Message 14 of 16
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@iv wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

That's an odd way not to argue...

The last three times I've changed providers (yes, post-paid plans), I haven't had a single pull (let alone a triple-pull).

It likely helps that I've been bringing my own devices, rather than "leasing" them.

Again, YMMV. (And it clearly has.)

As for Samsung phone compatibility... Every. Single. Factory unlocked. Samsung. S-series phone. In the last three generations. Just like Apple.

Just buy it directly from Samsung, unlocked (via the appropriately-named "Unlocked by Samsung" program...), and it will work on all US networks. (Yes, including Sprint.) Also just like Apple.

Don't want to believe me? Believe Samsung:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/unlocked-by-samsung/

Wireless voice, data and messaging services on Samsung Unlocked Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge devices are compatible with most major U.S. GSM and CDMA networks. For these devices, wireless services are available on GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile and CDMA networks such as Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular®.

LG offers something similar with the V30 and V30+. Again, buy direct from LG, unlocked, and it will support all major US carriers. (Yes, including Sprint.)

My bad - this Samsung program came about it 2016, and I was unaware of it until now. What I said was true up until then, though. Still didn't prove that you can get a new postpaid plan with no credit check. The cell business always has required that - it is a big part of the reason that prepaid programs are around.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I switched to AT&T post paid this past  December they pulled my EQ report.  Almsot positive ymmv as I think it depends on the state you live in and the provider

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.