cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried,dont know what to expect..Any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worried,dont know what to expect..Any advice?

I mentioned this in another thread but was thinking it was the wrong forum..Mods please move if in wrong area,thanks.........Long story short I refinanced my car (original lender Wells Fargo) who reported to all 3 bureaus, to my local FCU, who will probably report to EQuifax, because thats what they pulled.I have a CC with them and it reports to EQuifax only.What should I do to compensate or recoup that drop to EX and Trans.? I only have CC's that will show on those two reports and a paid auto loan when that updates.I'm worried about it because my plan is to app for a mortgage next spring.I just got into the 700 club Smiley Sad.....Should I contact my CC companies and let them know the circumstances of the score drop and to reassure them? I dont want closed accts because of that...Thanks in advance for any input!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Worried,dont know what to expect..Any advice?

@Anonymous wrote:

I mentioned this in another thread but was thinking it was the wrong forum..Mods please move if in wrong area,thanks.........Long story short I refinanced my car (original lender Wells Fargo) who reported to all 3 bureaus, to my local FCU, who will probably report to EQuifax, because thats what they pulled.I have a CC with them and it reports to EQuifax only.What should I do to compensate or recoup that drop to EX and Trans.? I only have CC's that will show on those two reports and a paid auto loan when that updates.I'm worried about it because my plan is to app for a mortgage next spring.I just got into the 700 club Smiley Sad.....Should I contact my CC companies and let them know the circumstances of the score drop and to reassure them? I dont want closed accts because of that...Thanks in advance for any input!

Just sit tight and see if it even affects you; fact is by the fact you refinanced you likely weren't very close to paid off so realistically there won't be that big of a drop if any.

I absolutely would never ever contact a lender over something like that, seriously bad mojo Smiley Happy.

If the auto loan doesn't report to EX/TU then simply go pull the share secured loan trick if you don't hvae any other installment loans; mortgages don't underwrite on FICO 8, and while installment utilization doesn't play on any of the FICO 04 variants (EQ and TU for mortgages) it does on FICO 98 (EX for mortgages) so it'd be worth doing.

Method:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/m-p/4506756#U4506756

Gory Theory:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/m-p/4055989#U4055989

        
Message 2 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'd have to agree. Being that the loan probably still had a large total balance left on it, I don't think you'll lose much, if anything. Now, if this is the only installment loan that you had on those reports, that could be a different story because you will not get the max scoring for credit mix. But just wait to see what happens.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
I'd have to agree. Being that the loan probably still had a large total balance left on it, I don't think you'll lose much, if anything. Now, if this is the only installment loan that you had on those reports, that could be a different story because you will not get the max scoring for credit mix. But just wait to see what happens.

Yep,it was the only one that I had.I did refinance so I will have another one,but like I said it will probably only report to Equifax.It was also my oldest account at just a year and a half old Smiley Sad..It just didnt make sense to me to keep paying that high monthly payment with no ability to pay extra,when I now qualify for a lower APR with the ability to pay extra.Does that make sense? The LO said that he could also do a mortgage with that one inquiry however I decided to wait until the spring hoping for a better yearly income etc.Im now wondering if I should just go ahead and do it before my credit takes a dive...I also apped for a 5000.00 dollar credit card with the same pull.Again it will just report to EQ probably..I have a secured card at a year old that is 300.00 would it kill me further to just close that out? Thanks again for the input Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@RM21 wrote:

Yep,it was the only one that I had.I did refinance so I will have another one,but like I said it will probably only report to Equifax.It was also my oldest account at just a year and a half old Smiley Sad..It just didnt make sense to me to keep paying that high monthly payment with no ability to pay extra,when I now qualify for a lower APR with the ability to pay extra.Does that make sense? The LO said that he could also do a mortgage with that one inquiry however I decided to wait until the spring hoping for a better yearly income etc.Im now wondering if I should just go ahead and do it before my credit takes a dive...I also apped for a 5000.00 dollar credit card with the same pull.Again it will just report to EQ probably..I have a secured card at a year old that is 300.00 would it kill me further to just close that out? Thanks again for the input Smiley Happy

You probably will not get a mortgage with just that one inquiry, just sayin Smiley Happy.  Pull the trigger on the mortgage when it makes sense to you, you aren't going to take a hit to your mortgage scores other than inquiry / possible AAOA reduction with the new tradeline on EQ and TU at least: EX on the mortgage trifecta is the only one that uses installment utilization at all as as stated above you can just sort that with a shre secured loan.

Closing out your $300 secured card isn't a problem with your signature line; however, if there isn't an AF on it and I didn't need the $300 I'd probably wait till after mortgage.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.