cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would reporting a lost/stolen CC close the current Tradeline and create a new one?

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Would reporting a lost/stolen CC close the current Tradeline and create a new one?

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

it would not result in a new account on credit report. Your history is preserved and will continue.

Well, half & half. I misplaced my Walmart store card last year and reported it lost/stolen online and requested a new card. The old account is in my closed accounts with opening date, payment history & CL, while the new card is in my open accounts with original open date, payment history & CL.

+ 1

From my small experience, Citi, and Sync do not result in a new account on credit report. Your history is preserved and will continue.  However I had fraud on an FNBO card last year and reported it. Got a new card and number.  The old account is in my closed accounts with opening date, payment history & CL, while the new card is in my open accounts with original open date, payment history & CL.

So this is issuer or card specific.

Message 11 of 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Would reporting a lost/stolen CC close the current Tradeline and create a new one?

Not only does it depend on the lender, it depends on the credit bureau. I've only seen two lenders generate a totally new account, while closing the original. That was FNBO and Synchrony.
The only CB that seems to hold on to the duplicate accounts is TU. EQ and EX scrub the duplicate after a year or so.
I haven't noticed any negative or positive impact from having duplicate accounts reporting.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.